DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dv-mx-gs-series-assistant/)
-   -   Cleaning the front of the lens (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dv-mx-gs-series-assistant/58925-cleaning-front-lens.html)

Alex Lake January 23rd, 2006 09:29 AM

Cleaning the front of the lens

What do people here use for keeping the front element clean? (Both of the camcorder and/or a wide-angle adapter)

David Andrews January 23rd, 2006 12:26 PM

I always fit a UV filter - or ND or polariser if circumstances require them. I have never left the lens unprotected.

Kevin Janisch January 23rd, 2006 12:56 PM

Don't own a Panny (XL2) but I can tell you that the Lens Pen is a godsend. I use to use the solution and tissue paper that you would buy as a kit and it was damn hard to get a good clean while in the field, not too mention the hassle. One day I grabbed a lens pen I had for a consumer olympus still camera and tried it on a filter and it gets it right every time. Since then it is the only thing I use. Circuitcity.com has a killer deal right now, $2.99 vs reg $10-$15. Beware though, some have faulty tips that peel back. I've had good luck with Sigma Lens Pens (amazon.com) and Gemini Lens Pens. There are two types, the fine ones with a tip the size of a whole punch and the other that I use where the tip is the size of a dime.

Kevin

Leigh Wanstead January 23rd, 2006 06:44 PM

Me too.

The downgrade quality by uv filter is ignored by me. ;-)

Regards
Leigh

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Andrews
I always fit a UV filter.

Alex Lake January 24th, 2006 03:13 AM

How interesting! Last time I asked, I think the suggestion was not to put anything in front of the lens (which I had thought seemed like "a good idea"). I think I'll kill two birds with one stone here, and get myself 1 (or 2) UV filters and build a lenshood onto it.

S0 - what kind of UV filter should I go for?!

Would a Hoya HMC UV(0) 72mm be OK? (I presume that the "MC" bit stands for "Multi Coated")

Tom Hardwick January 24th, 2006 03:28 AM

Alex - you really don't need a UV filter unless you're going somewhere really dusty, wet or filled with inquisitive, stick-fingered children. Modern lens coatings are a whole lot tougher these days, and you can use a well washed 'micro-fibre' cloth with confidence.

Certainly avoid using filters with add-on lenses - they'll increase the chances of vignetting and will add extra flare. I can prove it in seconds.

Lots of what I've been saying for years is here:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/co...m-feb-05.shtml

tom.

Alex Lake January 24th, 2006 03:42 AM

Ah yes, I remember it all now...

Multi-coating is all about preventing internal reflections, isn't it? So I suppose it's irrelevant whether or not the Raynox HD6600Pro is multi-coated or not (but I suspect it isn't).

I think I might get one (They're pretty cheap) and :-
a) Do some tests
b) Take it off when in "low-risk" environments.

As for using it as a basis for a lenshood, perhaps I'd be better off with something slimmer (perhaps a step-up ring?)

Tom Hardwick January 24th, 2006 04:05 AM

Correct, multi-coating is simply there to decrease the level of reflected light from the surface of the element. It also helps reduce the flare caused by total internal reflection. Multi-coating can of course be applied to 2 coatings or to 5, so beware the term.

One or some of the multi-coatings will hopefully be a hardening coat, and my spectacles are proof of this. I have Zeiss elements with the finest multi-coating I could buy. I've worn these specks on my nose day in and day out for three years, and regular as clockwork I clean them on anything I have to hand - including kitchen paper (made from trees). The coating is a perfect today as it was over 1000 days ago, I assure you.

You're right, the Raynox 6600Pro has only a single coat to save money. Treat it with care, but don't UV filter it, it just makes (flare) matters worse.

Not sure I understand your last sentence about lenshoods...

tom.

Tom Hardwick January 24th, 2006 04:05 AM

Correct, multi-coating is simply there to decrease the level of reflected light from the surface of the element. It also helps reduce the flare caused by total internal reflection. Multi-coating can of course be applied to 2 coatings or to 5, so beware the term.

One or some of the multi-coatings will hopefully be a hardening coat, and my spectacles are proof of this. I have Zeiss elements with the finest multi-coating I could buy. I've worn these specks on my nose day in and day out for three years, and regular as clockwork I clean them on anything I have to hand - including kitchen paper (made from trees). The coating is a perfect today as it was over 1000 days ago, I assure you.

You're right, the Raynox 6600Pro has only a single coat to save money. Treat it with care, but don't UV filter it, it just makes (flare) matters worse.

Not sure I understand your last sentence about lenshoods...

tom.

Tom Hardwick January 24th, 2006 04:06 AM

oops, how did the double post happen? Sorry chaps.

David Andrews January 24th, 2006 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Hardwick
Alex - you really don't need a UV filter unless you're going somewhere really dusty, wet or filled with inquisitive, stick-fingered children....
tom.

Typical of many of my situations! And for wet read salty sea water. For these I believe a filter is a very wise precaution.