Nv-gs400 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old February 27th, 2006, 03:46 AM   #1
New Boot

Nv-gs400

Just bought a NVGS400 and I was wondering which software is recommended for casual videos. I am a newbie to digital video but I am a pretty good photographer and also I am quite good with computers and software.
Thanks in advance.
Gilbert Goldstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2006, 04:25 AM   #2
Major Player

Shalom Gilbert. Just use Premiere Pro 1.5 for casual stuff, it will help you get pro as well. Also, there are tons of free editing softwares on the web.
Yasser Kassana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2006, 05:39 AM   #3
New Boot

is Video Studion any good?

I also have MotionDV studion 5.1 which was bundeled with the camcorder.
Old February 27th, 2006, 07:26 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Motion DV is not great. You could fiddle with it but it won't do DVD authoring and burning. It is a very simple program with a not so simple interface.

Sony Vegas, Adobe Premiere, Ulead, etc. have both starter and more advanced packages that will do what you need. You can download demos for most editing software, try them out and see which one suits you best.
Dionyssios Chalkias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2006, 07:44 AM   #5
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionyssios Chalkias
Motion DV is not great. You could fiddle with it but it won't do DVD authoring and burning. It is a very simple program with a not so simple interface.

Sony Vegas, Adobe Premiere, Ulead, etc. have both starter and more advanced packages that will do what you need. You can download demos for most editing software, try them out and see which one suits you best.
Yes Videostudio 8 is from Ulead...
is it any good?

what i like about MotionDV 5.1 is that when i press play in the software is playing the movie in the camcorder. Is like they are connected if you understand what I mean
Old February 27th, 2006, 10:01 AM   #6
Major Player

Shalon Gilbert and congrats on your GS400. I have the same great camera(NTSC). I think most of the "casual Video" editing software will be able to control you camcorder while plugged into the computer. Most of these software programs also have trial versions to download that expire 30 days from installation. Be sure to check'em out. I am looking at getting Adobe Premiere Elements 2.0. I've heard good things about it. Here's the link to check out free version of it.
http://www.adobe.com/products/tryado...sp#product=101
Steve Witt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2006, 12:28 PM   #7
New Boot

adobe premiere looks to me like let's say too havy (I have a PIII home with 512 MB Ram

aren't any lighter software ? it looks that Vegas -Sony is much lighter.
Old February 27th, 2006, 12:32 PM   #8
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Witt
Shalon Gilbert and congrats on your GS400. I have the same great camera(NTSC). I think most of the "casual Video" editing software will be able to control you camcorder while plugged into the computer. Most of these software programs also have trial versions to download that expire 30 days from installation. Be sure to check'em out. I am looking at getting Adobe Premiere Elements 2.0. I've heard good things about it. Here's the link to check out free version of it.
http://www.adobe.com/products/tryado...sp#product=101
thx for your warm congrats.
it is a nice camera...I must say ...of course I am not able to get the most out of it
Old February 28th, 2006, 03:13 AM   #9
Regular Crew

For something basic and reliable check out here:
http://www.canopusoft.com/
Lets EDIT2 will probably do what you want and should be available online. This is a link to the European site.
David Andrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2006, 04:30 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilbert Goldstein
adobe premiere looks to me like let's say too havy (I have a PIII home with 512 MB Ram

aren't any lighter software ? it looks that Vegas -Sony is much lighter.
You can find demo versions for Sony Movie Studio here:

http://www.sonymediasoftware.com/dow...p1.asp?catid=1

Be aware that you need firewire to capture video with almost any editing software. The only software that captures correctly through USB is MotionDV.
Dionyssios Chalkias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2006, 06:06 AM   #11
New Boot

yes I have the firewire is no problem.
thx.
Gilbert Goldstein is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant