Aspect ratio signalling at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old March 26th, 2006, 01:55 PM   #1
Major Player

Aspect ratio signalling

When anamorphic footage is played back with the GS400 it also outputs WSS, so that a Widescreen TV is automatically switched to 16:9. The new GS300/500 can also playback anamorphic footage in letterbox mode (needed for correct viewing on a 4:3 TV). Does somebody know if the WSS code for "letterbox" is being outputted in the latter case too?
Andre De Clercq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2006, 09:27 AM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre De Clercq
When anamorphic footage is played back with the GS400 it also outputs WSS, so that a Widescreen TV is automatically switched to 16:9. The new GS300/500 can also playback anamorphic footage in letterbox mode (needed for correct viewing on a 4:3 TV). Does somebody know if the WSS code for "letterbox" is being outputted in the latter case too?
I think you got it backwards. The TV sends aspect info. If the camera does not receive it, then it letterboxes its output.
Stephen Finton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2006, 12:30 PM   #3
Major Player

I don't think so Stephen. There is only an Y/C connection which is unidirectional. My GS 400 e.g. has a code on line 23 on the analog Y signal when it plays back anamorphic video. This code is being interpreted by my TV and switches it to "full". Unfortunately I cannot insert the (standarized) code for letterbox video. Broadcaster do though,
Old March 28th, 2006, 03:04 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
I don't think so Stephen. There is only an Y/C connection which is unidirectional. My GS 400 e.g. has a code on line 23 on the analog Y signal when it plays back anamorphic video. This code is being interpreted by my TV and switches it to "full". Unfortunately I cannot insert the (standarized) code for letterbox video. Broadcaster do though,
You're trying to letterbox on a 16:9 screen? Whatever for?
Old March 29th, 2006, 08:36 AM   #5
Major Player

When I make VHS copies from amamorphic footage for people not having DVD, they are made in letterbox for correct playback on a 4:3 TV.
Some of those them may have, or buy later, a widescreen TV. I want them to be able to playback their VHS (letterboxed) copy automatically switched to full screen. Therefore I want the VHS copies flagged as "letterbox".
Old March 29th, 2006, 05:06 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
When I make VHS copies from amamorphic footage for people not having DVD, they are made in letterbox for correct playback on a 4:3 TV.
Some of those them may have, or buy later, a widescreen TV. I want them to be able to playback their VHS (letterboxed) copy automatically switched to full screen. Therefore I want the VHS copies flagged as "letterbox".
I don't think that's possible. I wish someone else would chime in but I believe the "flagging" you are referring to is purely digital and would not be a part of a VHS tape's options. I don't think VHS can even hold time code, that's why you can reset the timer on all those VHS decks out there. There is nothing there other than video signal.
Old March 29th, 2006, 06:46 PM   #7
Major Player

Here's a PDF tech doc on WSS flagging:
http://www.intersil.com/data/an/an9716.pdf

The flag is a digital signal embedded into the analog carrier on lines 20 and 283 of an NTSC frame so an widescreen TV that detects the signal on a letterboxed 4:3 tape would automatically crop out the black bars.

In theory, this might show up as a visible pattern on lines 20 & 283, so maybe you could capture this of a pre-encoded VHS tape and overlay it into your video? It might even be possible to calculate the pixel values to create an image based on the tech document.

Well, perhaps. Just a thought.
Good luck.
Old March 30th, 2006, 03:21 AM   #8
Major Player

Thanks Nick, I will further report on the MSP forum (andre)
Old March 31st, 2006, 03:45 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Jushchyshyn
Here's a PDF tech doc on WSS flagging:
http://www.intersil.com/data/an/an9716.pdf

The flag is a digital signal embedded into the analog carrier on lines 20 and 283 of an NTSC frame so an widescreen TV that detects the signal on a letterboxed 4:3 tape would automatically crop out the black bars.

In theory, this might show up as a visible pattern on lines 20 & 283, so maybe you could capture this of a pre-encoded VHS tape and overlay it into your video? It might even be possible to calculate the pixel values to create an image based on the tech document.

Well, perhaps. Just a thought.
Good luck.
283 will not appear on a 240 line signal. VHS does not have the resolution to support it, even if it is theoretically possible.

Why am I such a pessimist? Sheesh!
Old March 31st, 2006, 04:40 PM   #10
Major Player

The frequency spectrum needed for this flagging (not the build-up clocking) has been chosen so that standard VHS passes these signals. NTSC is a 525 line system. not to be confused with 240 TVL/pH VHS resolution. Lines 20 and 283 are placed before the start of the active video content in the vertical blanking interval.
Andre De Clercq is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant