Lens hood on the MX500 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old March 8th, 2003, 04:20 AM   #16
New Boot

Sony Premium tapes are ?8 including sales tax in Ireland so about ?6.50 without.

Your camera prices are great in Singapore...
Tom Weir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2003, 04:39 AM   #17
Outer Circle

Yes, when you convert the Irish Pound to Canadian, it comes to about the same price here in Canada.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2003, 06:07 AM   #18
New Boot

Hey, we are all Euros now bar our friends in the UK. The symbol didn't translate into the forum.

6.50 euros = 10.50 CDN
Old March 8th, 2003, 07:47 AM   #19
Major Player

But I must say that the SGD$6 tapes are the lowest quality types from either Panasonic, JVC or Sony. I haven't seem Maxell or Fuji MiniDV tapes here, though.

I would guess that prices of tapes are about the same in Malaysia as in Singapore. Steven?
Yow Cheong Hoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2003, 08:38 PM   #20
Outer Circle

Oops. Not too long ago I had a bus stop chat with an Irish gal, and she did tell me they used Euros instead of the Irish Pound.

-------------------------------------------------
The brain's the first thing to go.
Old March 9th, 2003, 03:23 AM   #21
New Boot

Normally cultural differences are something I love, I always enjoyed working with different money in Europe. But the euro really opened my eyes to value differences across europe.

A Sony VX2000 was 200 euros dearer in Stuttgart than Dublin, a fact which surprised me.

But the recent dollar fall has meant that DVD-R drive cost about 250 euros... and importing from the US became competitive again. I know quite a few Irish who go to NYC to buy camera gear.
Old March 10th, 2003, 09:42 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Hi, Yow!

The price of tapes in Singapore that you mentioned, $6 Singapore - that's quite low. Are they the 90LP / 60 SPs? Did you have to bargain for them?

Anyways, in KL, the listed sticker price for SONY 90LP / 60 SPs (without the digital chip built in) can be quite high in comparison: about Malaysian RM 28 = Singapore $15 = USD $7 or so. Cut throats! :( :(

I know this place in Sungai Wang that can get you Panasonic 90LP / 60 SPs for about Malaysian RM 15 = Singapore $8 = USD $ 4, after bargaining. "Cheapest place in Klang Valley" was their boast.

Hmm... looks like you can get cheaper consumables in Singapore. Oh, the price, Singapore $6, does that include tax? Mine is already including tax.
Steven Khong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2003, 09:20 PM   #23
Major Player

After getting familiar with the seller, and buying many things from him, I get Sony 90LP/60SP non-chip tapes (red packaging) at $6.00 each, and sometimes at $5.50 (when you buy more, like 10 pieces). Panasonic 90LP/60SP non-chip is about $5.50, and $5.00 if you buy more (like 10 pieces). These are the basic, beginners' tapes, but I have no problems with them, so far. In any case, most of my tapes are used only once for recording and playback a few times during editing and viewing.

All prices quoted are in Singapore Dollars. Tax included.

Steven: when you need tapes, maybe I can get a bunch of them and pass them to you.
Old March 13th, 2003, 10:31 PM   #24
Tourist

Is it better for me to get the MX500 from Malaysia or Singapore ? Please give advice (Steven & Yow) !!
Has anyone got any still pictures taken from MX500 ? Please send some to me, cause I want to see if its really a 3 Mega Pixel quality ! thanks !!
Eric Fong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2003, 10:49 AM   #25
Major Player

The pictures are REALLY 3MP.

But they are also grainy 3MP. If you print to 4R (6" x 4"), you'll probably not notice the grain, though. After a little touching up softening in Photoshop, I'll say that you'll probably end up with about 2MP equivalent in sharpness and details.

My Fuji S602Zoom is a real digital still cam with SuperCCD (whatever, blah blah) and I shoot at 3MP. I'll say that Fuji's SuperCCD is already inherently noisy, but the MX500 is still noisier.

On this topic of video vs still, in low lights, the still cam exposes longer (sometimes keeping the shutter open for up to 15 secs!) but the video cam can only have shutter of 1/25 sec at the lowest, so any lower light, it'll use digital gain, which is about the same as changing the ASA/ISO upwards, ie equivalent to using more sensitive film, which will inevitably be more grainy and noisy.

However, I don't own an MX500, I have merely downloaded a file from MX500 on the net (EXIF still intact, so it should be original file) and played around with it.

Why don't some MX500 users here send Eric some pictures!

About buying in Malaysia and Singapore, the diffrence in probably too small to make a trip. Last hear was sub RM5000, and in Singapore it's SGD 2300. That's about 2% difference at the most!
SW: iMovie, Final Cut Pro, Adobe Premiere, Ulead Video Studio, various little utilities
Old March 15th, 2003, 12:48 AM   #26
Regular Crew

About getting the cam in Singapore or Malaysia....

If you are living in Malaysia most of the time, and hardly go to Singapore, then you're better off buying in Malaysia.

Try going to Boeing Electronics in Sungai Wang, KL (oh, I'm assuming you're staying in KL / PJ!) and they can get you a good price. Then you can also build a relationship with them, so that you can get other stuff next time for cheaper.

If you get it in Singapore, you have to service it in Singapore. It's no joke & might not be worth the trouble - unless you're always going to Singapore.
If you send it down to Singapore for repair, I hope you have an agent that is a reliable techie capable person who can check the cam after it's repaired before sending it back to you in Malaysia.

Besides, I think the MX300 & MX350 may be better off for you, if you think you will be working in low lights i.e. evening light or even a room with a single florescent light, or perhaps a wedding banquet where they use dim yellow lights, which the MX500 is not good at (just too bad, what a waste!)

All the best on your decision!
Steven Khong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2003, 01:21 AM   #27
Outer Circle

Are the low light/high resolution MX300 and MX350 still available?
Old March 15th, 2003, 11:05 AM   #28
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Frank Granovski : Are the low light/high resolution MX300 and MX350 still available? -->>>

Well, the MX300/350 is not a low-light performer, just better than the MX500. The resolution of the MX500 is certainly better then the MX300/350, at the rated 540 lines, max for MiniDV.

The 300 has been off the shelves for over a year in Singapore. Occasionally, you can still see the MX350 on the shelf of Harvey Norman (a large chain store) here. But Harvey Norman sells at almost RRP, which will be SGD3800 for the MX350 and SGD3300 for the MX500. You can still bargain a little for teh salesman to lower his own commision, but that's about limited to 10% to 15%.
Old March 15th, 2003, 06:01 PM   #29
Outer Circle

Thanks, Yow.

What I meant was that the MX300 and MX350 requires less LUX than the MX500. I just mentioned that they were good low light performers because the other member mentioned, "I think the MX300 & MX350 may be better off for you, if you think you will be working in low lights i.e. evening light or even a room with a single florescent light, or perhaps a wedding banquet where they use dim yellow lights, which the MX500 is not good at (just too bad, what a waste!)"

Personally, I don't think the MX300 and MX350 are good either in low light conditions, say in shooting a wedding reception, with the lights turned down. There's always video light though. That'll help with cleaner close-up shooting. It's too bad you can't get the 1/25 manual shutter setting. That would help make a difference!
Old March 16th, 2003, 06:41 AM   #30
New Boot

Every now and then a ghostly reflection of the lens fills my screen... never noticed it shooting but when I hooked up a monitor.

I realised that it is the UV filter reflecting the lens.

I thought that it might be due to the sequence on my MX300: Lens - Hood - UV filter. The gap might be exacerbating the possibility that this woudl occur. But there was no way to hook the Hood on once the UV filter was attached directly to the lens.

Any thoughts?
Tom Weir is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant