MX500 Telephoto/Macro Capabilities at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old March 21st, 2003, 02:09 PM   #1
Major Player

MX500 Telephoto/Macro Capabilities

How tight of an area can the XM focus on? I'm wondering specifically about an area 2.5x2.5", but can it zoom tighter than that?...does it require the telephoto adapter? How far does the camera need to be from the subject to be zoomed in that tight?

Thanks
Brandt Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2003, 05:40 AM   #2
Outer Circle

Perhaps Allan can answer this for you, since he owns a MX500. I'll give him a shout Monday. He's busy these days digging up info on those new 1 chip JVC HD cams.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2003, 09:11 AM   #3
Major Player

Nope, I don’t own an MX5000 but I help people get it direct from Japan. Since I also provide personal technical assistance and cheat sheets, I had to make myself very familiar with the 5000.

Regarding your question on macro function, I suppose this is a standard feature in most MiniDVs. Anyway, at 1x zoom the minimum shooting distance for the 5000 is 20mm. However, I seem to remember reading somewhere that the PAL 500 requires at least 35mm. At 10x zoom, you need to be at least 1.2 meters away from your subject.

I played with the 5000 and I could easily focus an area approx. 35mm x 25mm in size (1.4” x 1”) at 1x zoom. The shooting distance was approx 30mm. At 10x zoom and approx 1.2 meters away, the focus area was so much wider at around 110mm x 80mm (4.33” x 3.15”).

Hope this helps.
Allan Rejoso is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant