Use/don't use EP mode on DV852 (2/3 tape speed)? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old April 30th, 2007, 11:09 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Use/don't use EP mode on DV852 (2/3 tape speed)?

I'm considering using EP mode rather than longer tape b/c
i. Standard tape is said to be more reliable
ii. I can stock up on 1 kind of tape
iii. 80/90 min tape costs more, sometimes 2x

The user manual states
"The contents that are recorded in LP Mode are not completely compatible
with other equipment." and "mosaic-like noise patterns may appear on a playback image, or some normal functions may be restricted." I'm not sure if these are real issues or rarely seen caveats. I don't care if I get a few dropped frames per tape, but noise patterns would be an issue.

I would imagine that when I capture the video the result is a normal dv stream, undistinguishable from any other? I hope the 'other equipment' doesn't mean my laptop and capture software.

So: Use EP or get longer tape? (tape changing is not an option).
Laurence Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2007, 11:04 AM   #2
Inner Circle

EP? Do you mean LP?

Anyway, recordings made in LP, SP, DVCAM and so on are all identical bit streams - they just occupy more or less tape surface area. Stands to reason that if you record using the biggest area of tape you'll suffer less potential dropout.

If you do record in LP it's best to replay the tape (into your computer or TV, say) using the same machine. If you send an LP recorded tape to a Canon owner, his camera / deck may introduce glitches because of the incredibly narrow track widths. And vice-versa.

So test, test, test. You should / will find that LP is indistinguishable from any other tape speed in picture and sound quality. Your laptop and capture software have no bearing on the case whatsoever.

Me? I use 1 hour tapes and record happily at SP or LP, even changing speed halfway into a tape. If I shoot in LP I have to accept the fact that my DSR-11 VCR won't replay it without dropouts.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant