external mic's......which one? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old May 11th, 2003, 12:49 AM   #1
New Boot

external mic's......which one?

I'm looking into buying a mic for my mx 2500, I just bought it so I'm no pro but I would like to capture better sound. I don't film anything specific, so I wouldn't need a perticular one, just one that picks up better sound, one maybe that will capture less background noise when someone's talking......how much better are external mics compared to the built in one? I'm prepared to spend about 100 bucks, but I want to make sure it will be alot better than the mic that's built in. What do you suggest?
Lisa Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2003, 01:07 AM   #2
Outer Circle

Maybe give Peter a call at Leo's Cameras. $100 Canadian won't get you anything.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2003, 03:44 PM   #3
Wrangler

I agree with Frank. You'll have to come off a little more cash to get a quality mic that makes a difference.

I'm purchasing the below mic as soon as I save up some pennies. Its for the MX5000/DV953 but it would probably work on the MX2500 as well.

http://prodb.matsushita.co.jp/produc...VW-VMS2_t.html
Tommy Haupfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2003, 04:01 PM   #4
Wrangler

$100 USD wouldn't buy much either. If you've got to stay on the low end, try checking your local Radio Shack. They stock some low-end Shures that may fit your budget.

For quick answers try our Search!
To see me and Rob Lohman click here
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2003, 10:15 PM   #5
New Boot

okay

Well that answers my question then. So what do the medium quality mics cost a girl? I was thinking 100 USD, but I guess that won't be enough...So, will 150 usd get me a mic that will have much better sound quality than the built in, or do you think I shouldn't bother at all? I wish there was somewhere I could test them out.....I'm in korea right now...I wonder if they would let me put one on....can you maybe tell me how much better an external mic is?
Old May 11th, 2003, 10:58 PM   #6
Wrangler

If you're ok with a Mono mic you might want to consider the Sennheiser MKE 300 for aournd $150. I had this mic and loved it but I'm opting instead for the Panny mic I mentioned above since its stereo.
Tommy Haupfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2003, 02:04 AM   #7
Outer Circle

Lisa, ask Allan or Tim (in Japan) for a price on that stereo mic. There's 2 models available for your cam (from Panasonic).
Old May 18th, 2003, 04:14 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Hey Tommy, jsut courious, what are your thoughts on this mic??
Compared with the Senn, its much shorter and look like it would fit the bill for the MX and wont give me shadows like the longish senn....

your thoughts are greatly appreciated :)

oh also do you know if it has a gain adjustment on the mic itself?
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2003, 04:30 AM   #9
Outer Circle

Tommy, she's in Vancouver (Canada). The MKE 300 is easily twice as much in Canadian Dollars. Again, I suggest contacting Leo's (in Vancouver) to see what they can do. Spending extra bucks for one of the Pana mics might be your best bet for your Pana cam. Leo's might be able to get these, but the sure thing would be to go through Tim or Allan.
Old July 18th, 2003, 11:32 AM   #10
New Boot

MKE 300

Alright, looks like I want to spring for that mike, been saving up my dollars and I'll just get it from BH.....I know what the manufacturer has to say, what do you have to say about it?
Thanks.
Old July 18th, 2003, 03:57 PM   #11
Outer Circle

If you are going for the MKE300, then make sure it's the latest model. The first and second versions were crappy.
Old July 20th, 2003, 06:08 AM   #12
New Boot

thanks Frank

I hope Bh doesn't carry the old versions, but I'll email em and find out..thanks for the advice.
Lisa Marie is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant