MX500, what is the story with low light - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old May 17th, 2003, 07:50 AM   #16
Major Player

Call me YowCH for short.

The VX2000 is in the range of Singapore $5,000, and the PD150 is more than that. I do not know the exact prices, as I couldn't afford them anyway, but I should be able to find out in a few days' time.

A car for AUS$5,000, yes. But certainly not in Singapore. The permit to own a car is S$10,000!
SW: iMovie, Final Cut Pro, Adobe Premiere, Ulead Video Studio, various little utilities
Yow Cheong Hoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2003, 09:36 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Thanks Yowch. From the website on B&H in the states they are selling the vx2k for 2600 for pal which is still half an aussie grand cheaper and the ntsc pd150 is 3000 US. Our tv can play both but I wonder how much worse the quality is. If they can put up with it in US and Japan I guess it cant be that bad.
I did read your reviews on the mx500 before buying but I didnt realize its low light was that bad. Trouble here in Sydney anyway is that they arent very happy to let you shoot in store with their cameras unless you promise to buy it.
Tung Bui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2003, 12:32 PM   #18
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Frank Granovski : Oh, that's where you are. My mother lived in a small town in Southern Germany during the war years. She says that she doesn't miss it---she does miss the old Berlin where she was born and spent her childhood years, though. -->>>

Hi Frank,

You should bring your mother over here for a holiday, as it's really nice. Ive enjoyed the two years Ive been here.
I live outside the town of Ulm. Ask her if she knows it.
What town did she live in?
Sean Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2003, 12:46 PM   #19
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Tung Bui :Trouble here in Sydney anyway is that they arent very happy to let you shoot in store with their cameras unless you promise to buy it. -->>>

Hi Tung Bui,
Thats a shame......
In my local store all the camcorders are out on display, you just need to pick them up and look at them.

I went to my local store today, but they were just to busy to let me do any videoing, i'll go back later in the week when its not so busy.
Old May 17th, 2003, 02:46 PM   #20
Outer Circle

She lived in Mengen. I asked her about Ulm. She said it's on the Donau, and has a beautiful, large, Gothic style Kathederale. She also mentioned that Ulm got heavily bombed during the war.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2003, 05:43 PM   #21
Inner Circle

Sean, I used to love going down to Saarbrucken on the German/French border. Great rock and roll bars were down there in the late 70s.
Joe Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2003, 10:33 AM   #22
New Boot

VX2000 is about RM8500 in JB, SGD4000 in Singapore
PD150 is about SGD5200
PDX10 is about SGD4200 in Singapore
TRV950 is about RM6600 in M'sia
AGDVX100 is about SGD5400 (without warranty)
Ho Chee Woe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2003, 11:27 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Hi Frank,
We are not far from Mengen. The big cathedral here is the highest in Europe - I have climbed the 760-odd stairs a few times - did your mother go to the top of it? Yes the town was heavily bombed in the war - all rebuilt now and looks really nice. We live outside the town in a farming village - it is non-descript other than roman roads and a famous restaurant! We are woken at 6am each morning by church bells which seems pretty uncilvilized to my english ears!
Sean
Old May 18th, 2003, 11:29 AM   #24
Regular Crew

Hi Joe,
What were you doing over here in the 70s?
Sean
Old May 18th, 2003, 03:21 PM   #25
Outer Circle

I'll ask her if she climbed to the top. But I doubt it, since it was war time when she lived there. (She lived there because of the war, away from the nasty goings on in Berlin.) She took lots of pictures with her Leica cam, though---until a good 'ol American "trooper" stole it from her, after he tried to do the dirty. I hate wars; and my mother still misses her old Leica camera. She'll be 76 this July.
Old May 19th, 2003, 02:23 AM   #26
Regular Crew

Hi Frank....

Shame about your Mothers Leica camera, I bet it would be worth alot of money today.

Ive taken lots of photos of the town, I could email you some if you are interested.

Sean.
Old May 19th, 2003, 03:16 AM   #27
Outer Circle

Pics of Mengen? Sure! e-mail them to me. I'm sure my mother would be interested to see what it looks like now. Thanks.
Old May 19th, 2003, 06:07 AM   #28
Regular Crew

Hi Frank,

Sorry, I didnt make myself clear, I havent been to Mengen.Next time I drive that way, i'll stop off, and have a look.it's about 80 KM away from here.

I have lots of pictures of Ulm, if your interested.

Here is the web site for the town of Mengen. I couldnt find an English web site-
http://www.mengen.de/default.htm
Old May 19th, 2003, 08:07 AM   #29
Regular Crew

Wow, those prices in SGP dollars are so cheap when you convert them to Australian. I assume they use pal in SGP like here. That means a vx2k can be bought for 3300aust. It would cost me 5300aust here or 4700 duty free. I wonder why there is such a disparity in prices. I'll definitely be trading up when I travel later this year, hopefully when all the SARS has settled down. Thanks for the reply.
Tung Bui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2003, 09:37 AM   #30
Inner Circle

hey tung, i might join u in that venture.. LOL
for a 2grand saving, youve got a decent holiday to boot.. LOL

one thing i HAVE to mention is that its not jsut with video gear which australia suffers exhuberant prices...
Its also alot of electronic musica instruments.

The reason our prices are so high is that as far as teh manufacturer is concerned, is that there is not a large market for these items as opposed to our overseas cousins, in turn forcing prices up so they can at least "make a profit" fomr the small market share we hold here.
Its a crock, coz duties and import tax will NOT come to 2 grand..

to tell you the truth, its a joke...
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant