Night scenes with visible lights at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old May 16th, 2003, 04:45 PM   #1
Major Player

Night scenes with visible lights

With the lack of low light sensitivity, how would you shoot a scene in a darkened hallway with visible 100 watt bulbs in the ceiling, while maintining the shadow and contrast detail of the scene?

This would be shooting the scene fairly brightly lit while maintaining natural contrast.

Would this need to be corrected in post?
Brandt Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2003, 06:05 PM   #2
High School Student

Even night scenes are light very well -- in good movies.

Look up some stuff on the internet about lighting for night...here's a good article at DV.com:

http://dv.com/features/features_item...02/jackman1002
Alex Knappenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2003, 06:13 PM   #3
Outer Circle

Alex, use "url" instead of "img" for links.

Brandt, if the lighting is too low, have you considered replacing the 100 watt bulbs with say, 250 watt bulbs?

Do you want this hallway scene to look like it is shot at night? If that's the case, replace the 100 watt bulbs with higher wattage blue bulbs.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2003, 06:24 PM   #4
High School Student

If the lights are in the shot, and he wants it to look like night, then you don't want them to be higher wattage, for sure...you want them to be less, actually. You want to light the scene with other lights, not visible in the shot, behind the camera (IE: the popular 3 point lighting method)...see the DV.com article I posted.
Alex Knappenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2003, 06:32 PM   #5
Outer Circle

Alex, I suggested the cheapest solution; and blue lights will do it. Bulbs are cheap; video lighting isn't.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2003, 10:31 PM   #6
Major Player

higher wattage blue bulbs

Frank, you may have hit on the solution here. What I'm looking for is somewhat reminiscent of the lust room in Seven. Bright white bulb in a red room, except that my bulbs will look dim and dingy.

I think the problem I'm trying to wrap my brain around is trying to make a brightly lit room look "natural". As light levels ramp up, you lose control over contrast, unless you use a lot of lights on their own dimmer channels.

I have a single chip 1/4" JVC that I might test your idea with...I'm supposed to do some "technical videographic tests" at the local shutdown mental hospital to find out what our lighting needs will be. Maybe they'll let me relight the hall.

Thanks!
Brandt Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2003, 10:44 PM   #7
Outer Circle

If you're thinking of shooting 1 subject in a situation like this, use 1 normal but brighter than a 100 watt bulb, casting over the subject. The rest of the bulbs, blue.

However, I don't recall the movie, "7". So I'm not exactly sure what you want to do. However, blue lighting is used to shoot so that the footage looks it was night time or dark. A softening filter might help some of the harshness of the bulbs. A yellow filter will give a footage a browner color, like it's in a old bulding (coupled with the lighting I suggested). Best way is to experiment!
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant