DVC80 vs GL2 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old May 27th, 2003, 05:04 PM   #16
DVX User

Sony and CNN made a deal together to outfit all thier reporters with Sony min dv... havnt heard anything about the Canons. If that is true thaks Brian, that info would do me well.
Jarred Land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2003, 05:26 PM   #17
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Jarred,
I've never seen anyone refer to the GL-2 as "disposable". It must be interesting to work with such a luxurious budget.

What type of work do you shoot?

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2003, 07:03 PM   #18
DVX User

lol... disposable was the wrong word.... if we had a lush budget I would have dvx100's all over the place, we cant even afford 2 dvx100's... hence the need for the gl2.

Sorry about that. :)
Old May 28th, 2003, 10:04 AM   #19
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by Jarred Land :

The DVC80 Chassis is diecast Magnesium, I dont know what camera you are talking about. Maybe you think Magnesium is a puffy plastic, but it's not, it's an alloy.

-->>>

LOL, since when was the DVC80 a diecast Magnesium metalic body? I'd think if it was Panasonic would at least mention it. The DVC80 is nothing more than a DVX100 with the 24p modes stripped. Still a good cam- just not metal. :)
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2003, 10:21 AM   #20
DVX User

http://www.pagegods.com/web/dvc80body.jpg

Old May 28th, 2003, 01:08 PM   #21
Wrangler

First off I was going by the info given on Panasonic's website, and it isn't listed under their trusty specs list. Plus the weight was very similar, even knowing alloys are lightweight but still not in the class of plain plastic. It wasn't until I read the pdf brochure I got confirmation on this feature.

Now I'm wondering why Panasonic waited to do this with the chasis of the dvc80 and not the dvx100. The "all" plastic contruction is really the main thing I dislike about the camera.
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2003, 01:21 PM   #22
DVX User

The dvc80 is designed for broadcast field use, where durability is a must. The DVX100 mainly is being used to make 24p films in a controled enviroment.
Old May 28th, 2003, 02:42 PM   #23
Space Hipster

I don't think there is a difference in chassis between the two cams. I seem to recall early statements from Panasonic about the DVX100's magnesium alloy body.

I think the DVC80 is just being marketed to a different audience.
Old May 28th, 2003, 02:51 PM   #24
Wrangler

Ya know what I was thinking that too. Maybe it's just the exterior that makes it feel exceedingly plastic. Then again other magnesium-alloy cameras (still cam in this case) like the Canon EOS10D has a distinct cold metal feel to it.

Can anyone confirm if the DVC80 and DVX100 share the same chassis?
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant