My DVX100 broken already at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old May 25th, 2003, 08:59 PM   #1
Regular Crew

My DVX100 broken already

I bought my dvx on March 16 of this year and its broken already. When on stand by, camera mode or sometime while recording the camera would stop and detect that there is no tape in the camera even though there is a tape inside. The little, red no tape sign would blink on the top left of the screen. I would have to tap the cam a bit before it detects a tape in there again. It happens real often and almost everytime I put the camera on stand by now. At first I was rewinding a tape and it happened. I was wondering if anyone know whats going on and/or if this has happen to anyone else? I live in Oakland CA and wondering if anyone can direct me to the nearest certified dealer. Thanks.
Sam Looc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2003, 09:21 PM   #2
Warden

Your camera has either a tape detect switch or sensor going bad (best guess). There could be any of a dozen causes. I would send it back to Panasonic for warranty service.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2003, 04:07 PM   #3
DVX User

this actually could more be due to your heads and caps being dirty by mixing tape brands.. the lubes from each tape has caused a glue. I suggest trying to clean your heads and caps (not with a tape but with photo qtips and cleaner)
Jarred Land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2003, 04:49 PM   #4
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Sam,
With such a new camera take Jeff's advice, not Jarred's. This clearly sounds like an electromechanical defect in the tape transport subsystem. Let Panasonic address the problem. Don't void your warranty by playing doctor.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2003, 05:02 PM   #5
DVX User

... just telling you what happend to me.. thought i could help.. sorry... will keep my mouth shut.....

Just thought a possible quick fix is better than going a month without the camera. This has happened to alot of people when they mix sony and pany tapes. A head cleaning fixes it 90% of the time. being new has nothing to do with it, he could have already shot more than people have had the camera for 8 months.

PS. he's not voiding any warranty by manually cleaning his heads, its not like he has to take the camera apart.
Old May 27th, 2003, 11:48 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks for everyones input. I will try cleaning the head first and if it does not fix the problem then I will contact panasonic. I have shot alot of footages with it and did mixed tapes before. Thanks again.
Sam Looc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2003, 12:18 AM   #7
DVX User

k sam let me know if that helped :)

and its good to hear you are using the camera alot, if you have a finished project post a link, everyone here would love to see it!
Old May 28th, 2003, 03:55 AM   #8
Warden

The tape detect switch (detecting the presence of the tape) is separate from sensing a head clog. Usually two different indications are given in view finder.

Cleaning your heads will not void your warranty, but an inexperienced user with q-tips is quite likely to break a head or cause other damage that will void the warranty.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2003, 08:52 AM   #9
DVX User

DONT USE NORMAL QTIPS! use photo qtips.
Old May 28th, 2003, 05:48 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Ok, thanks. Where can I get photo Q-tips?
Sam Looc is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant