DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/)
-   -   Everyone please do these tests to see if your cam is the same way (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/10116-everyone-please-do-these-tests-see-if-your-cam-same-way.html)

Glen Elliott May 26th, 2003 04:12 PM

Everyone please do these tests to see if your cam is the same way

I noticed two odd things about my camera (well mabye not odd- maybe it's supposed to do that) but I'm not sure. I figured I'd ask to have you guys check out your DVX100's and see if it does the same thing(s):

1. Zoom all the way in to the fullest telephoto setting with zoom in servo mode. Once at full magnification zoom back a hair (just a slight push of the zoom button will do). Now zoom back in again. Does your lense "snap" into the full tele zoom setting. In other words when you zoom back in the small amount to the end of the zoom range does it do it incredibly quickly snapping into full zoom position? It does the same thing with the wide setting as well (if you zoom all the way out, zoom in a hair, then zoom back out from there- it 'snaps' to the wide setting)

2. I was able to replicate the loud noise in the automatic focus setting. The way I did it was point the camera out a window with a screen (something that would cause a hard environment for autofocus)....now lower your f.stop down to 16, one notch above closed. It seems like when my f.stop is down real low (apparently causing low light, and a hard atmosphere to auto focus) the auto focus mechanism makes a rattling noise as it flutters between settings trying to lock. Is this just my camera or do your DVX100's do this as well. I'm aware that for non-manual settings (including zoom) can cause noise, however the noise it makes in this circumstance is pretty loud..and sounds like somthign in the camera is rattling and buzzing...with a noticable vibration while holding it.

Brent Feeman May 27th, 2003 08:32 AM

Glen,
1. I tried the zoom "snap" and didn't get what you were describing. It was just as smooth zooming back in as it was zooming out.

2. The autofocus noise you have is interesting to me, though. I've got a thread going about somthing similar right now. My autofocus also makes a faint buzzing sound when its trying to lock on, but I notice that when it's doing that, the image vibrates with an interlacing that is very noticeable. Do you get that along with your noise as well? Mine does this all the time and isn't hard to replicate.

-Brent

Glen Elliott May 27th, 2003 02:59 PM

Brent- the only way for the zoom snap to work is to only be a hair away from the full zoom on either end.

Regarding the interlace during autofocus- I really haven't noticed it- then again it may be something I never looked for. Though about the noise, mine sometimes is louder than a buzz, sometimes turns into a vibratting shuttering noise the the autofocus is going haywire! The first time it did it I honestly thought the camera was malfuntioning.

William Wallick May 27th, 2003 07:38 PM

Yes, I have the "jump" zoom. Zoomed in to 95 it will not zoom to 100, it jumps. I tried it a bunch of times, but could never make it zooooooom.

Now try one for me.

Bring an analog signal into the DVX100 (VHS or something) and use the firewire output to your NLE. Does it pass both the audio and video signal? Mine only passes video.

WW
DVX-100 / XpressDV

Glen Elliott May 27th, 2003 09:02 PM

That might be able to be fixed via a menu in-camera.

William Wallick May 27th, 2003 09:22 PM

If that's true I'll buy you a pizza.
William
A large pizza.