DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/)
-   -   miniDV tape dub that preserves timecode (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/10553-minidv-tape-dub-preserves-timecode.html)

Peter Richardson June 6th, 2003 03:58 PM

miniDV tape dub that preserves timecode

Hey guys--So I need to dub some mini-DV tapes I've shot for a documentary (actually, it will be a lot of mini-DV tapes). The easy way of doing this would be to just get two miniDV decks and start dubbing, but I live in a small town in Oregon which apparently doesn't have said decks. What I do have is the following:

1. DVX100
2. Access to other mini-DV cameras

Is it possible to connect the two cameras to perform a dub? I really don't care about the quality of the dub, though I assume it will be quite high, because essentially it will be used as a "work print", and the masters will be kept in a secure place for the eventual online full res mix (my editor is in NYC and I will be shipping these dubs to her, hence my reluctance to Fedex my masters). What does matter of course it that THE TIMECODE IS PRESERVED across the dub. Does anyone know how I do this given my resources? I am thinking Firewire, any suggestions? Thanks!

Peter

Chuck Purnell June 6th, 2003 08:27 PM

dubbing timecode

The only thing I could suggest would be to re-log your tape after you made the dub with the new time codes.

Peter Richardson June 10th, 2003 05:40 PM

It works! Well, it sort of works. I hooked my camera up via Firewire to a consumer level JVC camera. The picture and sound was transferred to the JVC camera (in the VCR mode. I had to hit the record button once, which brought up the DV signal, hit it again and it would record) but it did not take the timecode, unfortunately. HOWEVER, when I reversed the transfer, using the DVX100 as a record deck, it automatically took the timecode from the JVC camera! Success, and praise the DVX100! Now I'm trying to find another camera that will take the timecode from the DVX100. Any suggestions? The reason I want to do this is: I want to record onto cheaper tapes for these dubs, but I don't want to mix tapes with my pristine DVX100 (Master Quality only, thank you), so if I can find a donated camera that will take the timecode I can use the cheaper tapes, otherwise I will have to fork over for more Master Quality tapes to dub onto...but things could be worse, I could have bought an XL-1.

Peter

Stephen van Vuuren June 10th, 2003 07:04 PM

You need a cam with settable timecode. PD150, new JVC pro cams, Panasonic DVLine cams and others should work. Of course, a second DVX100 would be best.

Peter Richardson June 10th, 2003 07:10 PM

Do any of the Canon cameras have settable timecode, Stephen? I have a friend who has a Gl-2, so that would be convenient. Thanks,

peter