DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/)
-   -   DVX100 -- various topics (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/10753-dvx100-various-topics.html)

Zack Birlew May 4th, 2004 09:49 PM

Gonna get a DVX100A! =D

Hi, I'm going to take the plunge and purchase a DVX100A to replace my Canon GL1. I've studied all the 24p stuff I can stomach, and I've seen all the debates over resolution/color/noise and stuff. But, overall this camera just appeals to me because I'll be doing some short and feature length indies with it and I'll need great blowup results. The only thing I'm wondering about is should I get the anamorphic adapter? I honestly don't know why I would want an even wider angle on an already wide angle camera =P but I've heard some talk about it. So, is the anamorphic adapter really worth the extra $800 or so? Or is it just a special effect adapter like a fisheye lense? =P

Ken Tanaka May 4th, 2004 10:12 PM

Personally, I'd recommend starting without the adapter and first trying the in-camera 16x9 stretch. It's pretty good and might avoid some of the inconveniences of using an adapter.

Paul Chun May 10th, 2004 09:34 PM

Porta Brace Case for Panasonic

I noticed that the B&H site shows a different bag for the Panasonic cams. Is this one bigger? I'm assuming these bags are the same basic shape and maybe the Panny bag is a little bigger? Anyone know? Or are these bags specifically made for these cameras?

Ken Tanaka May 10th, 2004 09:42 PM

I've split this from another thread in another section of the forum.

The PortaBrace MiniDV case models are slightly different for each camera. Yes, there are some dimensional differences. But there are also differences in the various supplied accessories. (I have three for different camera.) See the PortaBrace page for specifics.

Dwight Flynn May 17th, 2004 08:53 AM

can I upconvert from SD to HD (1280x720 or higher)

Can I upconvert the SD signal to HD 1280x720, and if so, how can it be done?

Thanks

Glenn Gipson May 17th, 2004 09:47 AM

Do a search on S-Spline.

Also go to www.algolith.com

Chris Hurd May 18th, 2004 07:39 AM

Thank you for the link, Panasonic!

Hey, we've got a link from the U.S. Panasonic site!

Check it out: "DV Info Net Discussion Forum"

I'm not sure who's responsible for this plug, whether it's Jan or Steve or Stuart or somebody else, but a tip o' the hat and a big Thank You out to the folks at Panasonic for the link. It's much appreciated!

Check out all the other links on that page, too -- there are some great DVX100A resources listed!

Thor Seraphin May 19th, 2004 12:51 AM

Action Sports Settings?

Anyone have advice about some settings to capture high speed action, I'll probly slowmo (time remap) some footage in post w/ after effects. I assume the 60i settings are the way to go, but I want it to look filmy,

I have a DVX100A, and the Century Precision 1.6 telephoto lens. I usually shoot 24P because the 24PA (advanced) is harder to work with in final cut. I use compressor to build and DVD studio pro to burn. In this case I'll probly create my mpeg 2 files in compressor and send a DLT to a replicating house. Any advice to improve my quality short of getting a 4:2:2 or uncompressed system?

I will be shooting a surf video (mostly tripod) . I'm looking for highly saturated high key colors, and/or that 'cross processed/high frame rate' look where action looks so cool. When I shoot 24P in low light, motion=blurry. I want the opposite. So far testing looks like 30P is best for me. Any menu settings or other advice appreciated, keep your detail settings low is about all I'm sure of.
aloha
Thor

Stefan Scherperel May 19th, 2004 01:16 AM

Your frame rate whether 24p or 60i has nothing to do with how blurry your footage is. That is where shutter speed comes in. You can definatly shoot fast paced action while keeping the film look in 24p, all you have to do is increase your shutter speed. You probably are shooting at the default 1/48th second shutter speed. For most scenes this should be fine, but if you want the look that you ahve described you should set your shutter speed to at least 1/120th. Now, if you want to go into slow motion later, keep your shutter speed fast and shoot either 60i or 30p so that in post you have more frames to work with and slow it down.
As far as the saturation and high key colors are concerned, you shouldn't have any problem as long as you have good light. YOu can adjust your chroma settings to get the look that you are after. Hope this helps.

Erik Auli May 19th, 2004 10:52 AM

century ultra 3.x fisheye v.s century super fisheye vs Raynox on dvx100

Does anyone here own the century .3x ultra fisheye or the century super fisheye adapter for the dvx100? If you do, could you please post a screenshot, or a clip you have shot with them at the WIDEST setting. I just got a dvx100 and want to compare the look between those two lenses and the $100 raynox fisheye project i saw posted on this forum. thanks.

Aaron Banks May 19th, 2004 02:02 PM

http://www.skateperception.com/articles/articles.php?article=dvxfisheye

Jarred Land May 21st, 2004 12:01 AM

yeah we got one too.. I think it was Jan... she is looking out for us :)

Daniel Moloko May 21st, 2004 12:57 PM

dvx100 tapes on a sony dv deck

hello there.

i need to know if my sony dvcam deck can play the 24p tapes in 24p? or if its only possible to capture the tapes in 24p to the computer if i use the camera as a deck?

ciAO

Ryan Gohlinghorst May 21st, 2004 01:45 PM

You can use anything you want. It'll work just the same.

Karen Grayson May 25th, 2004 08:49 AM

On board Mic

I'd like to know what you all think about the dvc80's
capability of it's onboard mic. I can't afford to buy a
shotgun mic at the moment and was wondering if i could
get away w/using the cameras mic for an upcomming
dance recital.

Thank you!
karen