DVX100 -- various topics - Page 14 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old July 22nd, 2004, 12:38 PM   #196
Tourist

settings for anamorphic lens

I just purchased the anamorphic lens for my DVX100A and am having problems. Firstly - what screen setting should I use - standard, letterbox or squeeze? It seems that none of the settings work correctly. In standard mode, there are black bars on either end after transferring into Vegas video - in the widescreen modes the images are squished. Also is there a special way to attach it and configure it, i.e. making sure it is perfectly square? Also, the focusing is not that great. Is says to use manual focus - which I did and I cannot focus at a distance less than 3 or 4 feet. Also the lens doesn't seem to be that great of quality for a $850 lens. Anyone else have these problems. Thanks, Val
Val Rio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2004, 04:58 PM   #197
Barry Wan Kenobi

The anamorphic lens can yield superb results, or it can yield lousy results. You really have to know how to work with it to get the best from it. I've just published a guide that describes in detail what you have to do, and how to do it, to get the very best results from the anamorphic adapter. It's available at http://www.dvxuser.com/articles/anaguide/

As for what mode to shoot in, for 16:9 you want to use "normal" mode. For a 2.35:1 aspect ratio you'd want to use "letterbox" mode. You never want to use "squeeze mode" together with the anamorphic. As far as editing in Vegas, just make sure you're using an NTSC Widescreen project preset, and then in the media pool you have to right-click on your anamorphic clips and change the aspect ratio to be "NTSC DV Widescreen (1.2)"... then your clips should all work properly in their full widescreen magnificence.

As for attaching the lens, squaring it up, focusing it, etc -- that's all covered in the guide.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2004, 01:04 PM   #198
New Boot

Camera Bag Recommendations?

Which camera bag do most of you recommend for the DVX100A?

I would prefer it to be on the small side.

Looking at the Petrol PCUB-1 - 150 bucks.

Thanks
Mason Cooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2004, 07:43 AM   #199
Obstreperous Rex

Petrol makes some great stuff. You might want to also consider Kata and PortaBrace. They all have smaller soft-sides and semi-rigids that are perfect for the DVX.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2004, 07:07 AM   #200
Regular Crew

25p shutter speed (dvx100a PAL)

The manual recommends 1/50 as the shutterspeed for shooting in 25P.

I'm curious if anyone out there has experimented with shutter speeds for this camera and what you've learned - and can recommend - from your experiences.
Zareh Tjeknavorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2004, 07:30 AM   #201
Inner Circle

the slower the shutter, the blurier the motion

at 25p, you could end up with a mash of images if theyre fast paced. mind u at this speed (1/25th) ull be gettin alot more light it... thing is u can always use the gain to offset the loss of light from using a faster shutter..
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2004, 10:18 PM   #202
Regular Crew

XL-1 & DVX100 - intercam playback issues?

Does anyone know of any playback, audio and/or video, issues of tapes recorded in an XL-1 and played back in a DVX or issues with the same scenerio but in LP.
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2004, 01:21 PM   #203
Regular Crew

Other intercam playback issues

Ok. According to this post, apparently this is a common issue especially with LP speed.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...threadid=30346

James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2004, 02:06 AM   #204
Regular Crew

Please let me know what you think of the footage of our latest film

We just finished the importing and are now getting ready to post it on DVD.
If you go to the below site and to the right there is a button for a clip of the film just wanted to know what you guys think of the footage.

The movie is in Syrian there will be subtitles in two weeks.

It was shot with a two DVX100 as all camera setups were two cameras all lighting was KinoFlo budget for filming was 35,000 with 30,000 for showing around the USA and selected area around the world. I was one of the Line-Producers. Cinemaphotographer was JB he is well known in Chicago and is good with a DVX100.

Please let me know what you think as we are getting to go for release and we are looking for opions to the lighting and frame setups.

Will have newer link Tuesday ....SORRY
Sharon Fraats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2004, 09:46 AM   #205
Regular Crew

I found a direct link to the video....

Will have newer link on Tuesday
Sharon Fraats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2004, 01:33 PM   #206
Major Player

Is the DVX100a overall better than the DVC30 and worth the extra $1k

Im torn between a DVC30 for $1,899.00 or a DVX100a for $2,989.00. The cam will be used for snow sports and a short film or two. I dont need 24p, but the 30p of the DVX would be nice.

My question is, is it worth the extra $1000?
Old September 7th, 2004, 02:27 PM   #207
Regular Crew

Colour bar

I can see what the colour bar is and I read somewhere that it shoudl be used as a marker (?) at the beginning of each tape (shoot?), but why? what is it for? does little old me going from DVX100 into computer need to know about this/use it? Thanks for your help.

Jeremy
Jeremy Bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2004, 03:42 PM   #208
Inner Circle

hmm....

low light, variable cinegama, variable matrix, inbuilt xlrs, kick ass viewfinder, wider lense, true progressive... theyre the only difference i can think of right now...

i was lookin at a dvc30, but they didnt have any and coz i need it for a project, i had no choice but to upgrade to the dvx..

i like the dvc30, and for ur use, its perfect as it offers a longer zoom and is MUCH smaller (about the size of the DVX lens) and if u wanted to upgrade the audio u could get the XLR adapter...

hmm.. im still tryin to determine if my purchase was worth it.. see for me in the longrun havibg 2 dvx100 "looks" better for potential future work, as when im workin a wedding, people are impressed by the gear... i know it sounds shallow, but people are like that..
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2004, 12:03 PM   #209
Major Player

For editing and color correction purposes putting color bars on the begining of a tape will give the editor/corrector a standard to judge the camera's color by, or allow two cameras to be matched up more easily. The bar generator could also be used to calibrate the cameras EVF/LCD, or a monitor hooked up to the cam.
Jesse Bekas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2004, 11:32 AM   #210
New Boot

Uncompressed Modification for DVX100a

hi

Just read about an uncompressed modification for the DVX100a on another forum of a guy named Juan or something.

does anyone have more info regarding this and if it actually works?

i just received my DVX100a on friday and this sounds really interesting
to add this feature to my camera.

any comments or links would be appreciated.

regards,
Charles
Charles J. Rivera is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant