DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/)
-   -   DVX100 -- various topics (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/10753-dvx100-various-topics.html)

Chris Hurd February 14th, 2006 09:34 AM

Hi Dennis,

The HD version of the DVX100 is already out... it's called the HVX200. We have an entire forum dedicated to it. See http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/forumdisplay.php?f=80. However it is more than $5000.

If you want an HD camcorder with XLR inputs (jacks, not plugs!) for under $5000, there are two Sony camcorders that will fill the bill. They are the Sony HVR-Z1U and HVR-A1. They record to standard Mini-DV cassettes in an HD format called HDV. We have dedicated forums for these cameras as well:

Sony Z1 HDV: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/forumdisplay.php?f=75

Sony A1 HDV: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/forumdisplay.php?f=99

Hope this helps,

Tony Ramos February 15th, 2006 09:59 AM

Dvx 100a Broken tripod mount plate

When installing my DVX on a glide cam, I managed to drop the whole thing.
Upon hitting the floor, the tripod mounting plate on the bottom of the camera cracked. Is this a costly repair? Has anyone had a similar problem?

Mark Burlingame February 15th, 2006 04:55 PM

check out DVXUSER

Go over to the DVXuser forum (www.dvxuser.com) and look in the DIY forum. I know there is someone who has made an aluminum or stainless replacement for the bottom plate which I believe they are selling, supposed to be a lot better. good luck, Mark

George Odell February 16th, 2006 10:47 AM

DVX100: How can I monitor the output?

Hello to all:

I will be shooting with a DVX100 for only my second time and I need to know if I can use my standard 4:3 NTSC color monitor to see the output if I'm using the camera in 16:9 mode?

I know some cameras will output a "squeezed" image to fit 4:3... does this camera do that and is it acceptable?

Thanks,

George

Barry Green February 16th, 2006 04:35 PM

It would output the squeezed image, which would fill the 4:3 screen on your monitor. If your monitor has a 16:9 switch, the image would display in the proper aspect ratio.

Note: you said "DVX100", not "DVX100A" or "DVX100B". For clarification, the original DVX100 did not have a "squeeze" mode; it only has 4:3 (either with or without letterbox bars) so either of those modes will display perfectly well on your monitor.

If you're using a DVX100A or DVX100B then you have access to the 16:9 "squeeze" mode. But you'll have to decide whether viewing the footage "squeezed" is acceptable to you. The image stretch will make everyone look tall and skinny; it's not a massive squeeze though (like with cinema anamorphics; those squeeze the image by a factor of 2:1; the DVX's squeeze is around 1/3 of that). If you're using a DVX100B you can have the onboard LCD automatically correct the aspect ratio, but on the external monitor it will be the full signal; if your monitor is 4:3 only then yes it will appear squeezed/stretched.

Dale Lundy February 23rd, 2006 10:33 AM

Panasonic DVX100B vs Sony HDR-FX1

I am looking to move from a high end consumer camera into a more capable prosumer camera. I plan to use it at least for (a) fund-raising and short documentary style videos for non-profit groups, and (b) shooting travel video that can be incorporated into documentaries. Family events are a side benefit.

What should I look for? Probably an adequate level of manual controls. Quality video reproduction. Size and weight are important. 24p ability seems at least somewhat important. I’m not certain about HDV. Cost is important.

The choice seems to be between the Panasonic DVX100B and the Sony HDR-FX1.

Both seem to be good cameras. Both cost about the same. The DVX100B has a proven track record and 24P. The Sony is HD and has CineFrame24 but I’ve read both good and bad reviews of that and would like to hear your experience. HD is probably not important right now, but might give some of the travel clips a longer useful life.

I’d like to hear your thoughts. Also what editing packages would support 24P on the DVX100. I currently use Premiere 6.5. I have been told that 24P on the DVX100B produces too much of a strobe-like appearance if there is any movement. What is your experience?

Dale

Chris Barcellos February 23rd, 2006 11:39 AM

The Debate goes on

You are recommencing a debate that seems to go on forever.. Bottom line from what I've seen from all of the threads on this issue is that each camera has assets and liabilities. To get to an output you are lookong for there are post production techniques and work arounds galore.

I chose FX1 because I wanted HDV as an option. Since I got it, I shoot everything in HDV, and decide how to handle from there. You can actually convert to DV right out of camera in 4:3 or 16:9 If you want to actually do a HDV project and your system is up to it, you can get Premiere Pro 2.0 upgrade for $200, and be running there. Its great, despite what you might hear from Vegas and Final Cut heads. Cineform Aspect HD for $500 will give you added capability (claimed better color rendition), but your intermediate files take up about five times the space... You will likely be adding big hard drives. Warning: Once you work with HDV or HD, you will never really be satisfied with your DV options.

Lyndon Golanowski February 23rd, 2006 03:40 PM

DVX100 with shotgun mic problem

Hey guy's, I got a problem here, I am using an AKG shotgun mic on input 1 and it's only giving me 1 channel of audio(the left side). How do I get it onto both if possible and turn off the onboard mic?

Thanks

Matt Stahley February 23rd, 2006 11:09 PM

use input 2 and under the lcd select input 2 to 2 and input 1 to recieve channel 2 as well. these selections will also turn off the int. mic.

Dale Lundy February 27th, 2006 09:39 AM

DVX100B Analog to Digital?

I am considering getting a DVX100B. I have some older analog videotapes that I'd like to convert to digital. Does this camera have the capability of taking in an analog signal and writing it to mini-DV?

Dale

Barry Green February 28th, 2006 12:11 AM

Yes it does.

Ovidiu Marginean March 3rd, 2006 02:30 AM

i'm in trouble

hi
i'm ovidiu marginean , bucharest(romania) based cinematographer.
since last summer i'm owner of a dvx 100 ae (pal).

i like this camera , but now i have a problem. the fire wire connection doesn't work anymore.
i use it for transferring the material from camera to pc only once.
that time i was present , when the video editor was trying to capture the material.
he used his pinnacle sound board for capturin video. sounds strange for me and i asked him if everything is ok. he answered yes!

after about ten minutes of normal transfer, the avid express stopped the transfer and didn't want to accept the fire wire (didnt recognize it).

that day we stoped the editing , and the editor finish the job,later, in another editing mashines.

but , next time when i tried tu use my fire wire option af my panasonic dvx , didn't work anymore. i tryed different ways , but unsuccesfull.

can somebody have any ideas?
realy appreciate!
thanks

ovidiu marginean
www.cinematographer.ro

Boyd Ostroff March 3rd, 2006 08:33 AM

Hi Ovidiu and welcome to DVinfo. I've moved your post to our DVX forum which is the correct place to ask questions about your camera - that other forum is just a place to say "hi" to everyone :-)

Regarding firewire on the DVX, I don't have much familiarity with that camera but have read several posts about blown firewire ports - see the following for starters:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=41620
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showpost.php?p=351429

I imagine you'll get some additional responses here too.

Gary Harper March 4th, 2006 02:25 PM

DVX100B Multi Cam Sync?

Has any one used the multi camera firewire timecode sync set up with the DVX100B cameras? Do you use free run time code? Once the master cam has slaved another DVX100B cam. can it then be unplugged and repeated for a second or third DVX100B, etc.?? What might be the issues when using Firewire Hard Drives with each camera???
Any insight would be helpful...

Thanks'

Gary

Barry Green March 4th, 2006 03:37 PM

You must use free run, yes. You can designate one camera as the master and then sync all the other cameras to the master. If you're in a mixed-camera environment (say, a bunch of 100B's and a 100A) you can designate the 100A as the master (or, any DV device; the 100B's will sync to any DV timecode coming through a firewire port regardless of the source).