DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/)
-   -   DVX100 -- various topics (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/10753-dvx100-various-topics.html)

Randy Reyes August 31st, 2003 10:52 AM

Hello Bradley! Thanks for posting the cool macro clip. Could you please tell us what lense you used for the shot? What grade of macro is the lense (e.g. +2.5, +3.5, etc.)?

Right now I'm thinking of buying an Achromatic Diopter +3.5 from Century Optics, so your info would help a lot. Thanks!!

: ]

Jamison Olivieri September 1st, 2003 09:35 PM

Filter

I was reading about neutral density and was wondering if anyone can tell me the type of neutral density filter is good for my dvx.

Stephen van Vuuren September 1st, 2003 09:51 PM

The DVX100 has two ND filters built in (check your manual for more info). Additional ND filters would only be needed for very bright lighting.

James Leong September 2nd, 2003 10:16 AM

DVX 100 - Some Problems

I bought a PAL DVX-100 in Singapore last week and am generally happy with it, but I've been experiencing 2 problems:

1. The optical image stablizer (OIS). This seems to make the image "swim" when shot hand-held approaching max zoom, or on a moving shot. The sight of a drop of rain on my wide-angle lens actually moving independently of the movement of the camera was very odd. I have a feeling the OIS on this camera OVER-compensates in the opposite direction to any tremours arising from hand-held work, and overcompensates for too long.

2. The lighter areas of the frame seem to flicker with any moving shot, or even with movement of darker areas within the frame (such as an interviewee moving an arm abruptly)

Is anyone else experiencing similar problems? Are there some simple settings on the camera that can remedy them? Any feedback would be much appreciated.

James

Peter Jefferson September 2nd, 2003 12:25 PM

dude, check out the 2 responses in the "Issues with your DVX" thread

Greg Manzanera September 11th, 2003 10:03 AM

DVX100 Autofocus question

I have recently read that the DVX100 doesn´t have the autofocus function when set to 24p mode.

I am considering buying one of these cameras, but I intend to use it in motion related situation: sports, documentary, and even some film making.
I am a litte bit concerned about its operability if I get no autofocus in progressive mode.

Is it still operative, fast and easy to use?? For still images I can afford spending some time just to get the perfect lighting and focus...

I would like to get some feedback just to disipate my doubts.

Thank you in advance,
GREG

Peter Richardson September 11th, 2003 01:24 PM

Greg--What you have heard is correct--there is not auto focus in 24P modes. I am shooting a documentary right now as well and haven't found this to be a problem, you just have to be sure to get focus and use the LCD as the viewfinder doesn't have adequate resolution to find critical focus. If you are considering sports photography I would highly recommed getting the repeatable focus adapter from Century Optics. I haven't used this personally but imagine it might help. It will definitely be more difficult to use this camera b/c it doesn't have af in teh situations you describe, but it is worth the effort. Hope that helps,

Peter

Mike Zorger September 12th, 2003 12:47 PM

where to get

how much is it at zotz? i sent them an email address and it hasnt come back yet. so doesn anyone know off the top of their head?
So which one would you guys go for Zots, bh, or evsonline?

Stephen van Vuuren September 12th, 2003 02:43 PM

Call Brian at www.zotzdigital.com directly.

Dale Anthony Smith September 15th, 2003 09:17 PM

Filters - DVX Lens Hood "Mattebox"

I am trying to avoid buying either a mattebox or 3 of each filter to fit the standard (72mm), the Century .6WA (95mm), and the tele extender (105mm).
The tech at Century says that there is no fitting to put a filter on the .6WA without vignetting. He said to tape a filter to the front of the lens is the only way so far... and that they were "developing" something for that lens.
One solution could be to hold the square filter in place in front of the lens with flex arm clips. OR... I was looking at the lens hood... It measures 4"X 4.5". There are those four screws on the front to remove the plate... Has anyone thought about or tried to put a 4X4 filter into the lens hood? The open back of the lens hood could be covered with some douvatine or black velvet to keep the light from hitting the back of the filter. Might just work...

Barry Green September 15th, 2003 11:57 PM

Someone on 2-pop did something similar with the anamorphic adapter...

The anamorphic has a front that's 4.25 x 4.5. On 2-pop they mentioned clipping 4" filters into the front -- just slide the filter right up against the front element, and then they used those little office paperclips (the black triangle-looking ones) to clip to the anamorphic's lens hood and keep the filter from sliding around.

Dushan Horvat September 17th, 2003 08:39 AM

DVX shutter speeds

Hi all,

Quick question... how can I achieve the same look that was used in Saving Private Ryan (beginning of movie) and Gladiator and Black Hawk down?
I had assumed it was a 16shutter speed,but I am not certain.
Can I achieve the same look with my DVX100? If so, what are the actual adjustments?
Any help would be appreciated...thanks!

Peter Jefferson September 17th, 2003 10:20 AM

dude check out the film look with DV forum, there HEAPS of info in there...
but basically its a fast shutter (ms likely 1/150) which achieves that crisp, high detailed image on a fast moving camera

George Loch September 17th, 2003 07:21 PM

DVX100:Sports?

Is there any advantage or disadvantage to using a DVX100 in motorsports? It seems like fast-paced action doesn't mix well with progressive. That would then take away lot of the advantage of the DVX .

Anyone have experience/examples of sports and the DVX?

GL

Mathew Evan September 18th, 2003 01:52 AM

So shoot in 60i then. That's the beauty of the dvx.