DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/)
-   -   DVX100 -- various topics (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/10753-dvx100-various-topics.html)

Neil Goodwin January 31st, 2004 10:22 AM

Documentary shot on DVX100

This was shot in October, edited in November on the original DVX100. Probably 15-20% of the shots were not done on the DVX100 but on a much cheaper camera because I couldn't be there when needed and it was "stock" footage if you will...wish I could have captured the entire thing though on the DVX100.

Regardless, go to www.dec12studios.net and click on the main picture or click on documentaries.

Some of the sounds are temporary....but it's coming along....music by a Goth band called Leper, and a Nashville musician named Nathan Pohl.

Tavis Shaver January 31st, 2004 07:00 PM

looks interesting but you really need to kill the reverb or chorus or whatever you used on the voice over...it's a little, um... much

Mike Zorger February 4th, 2004 08:39 AM

stills with dvx

does the dvx100 take still pictures??

Bill Peterson February 4th, 2004 09:42 AM

Not as a seperate function. There's no "still shot" button as such. You can however shoot at 30 fps and pull an ok still from those frames if needed.

B

Mark Grgurev February 8th, 2004 11:48 AM

2 DVX100s for a widescreen image?

How well of a widescreen image can you make by taking 2 DVX100s and puting them side by side and then editing the two images together in post.

Stephen van Vuuren February 8th, 2004 12:08 PM

I experimented with this several years ago with my XL1 (actually stitched 4 pictures together.

The big problem is focal length. Wider angle introduce distortion in the image and when put together, it's quite obvious. It can be a cool effect, but the day to day logistics for everyday shooting are formidable.

Ronnie Bryan February 8th, 2004 10:07 PM

head cleaning. how often?

How many hours should roll by before I clean the heads on my DVX 100? Should I use the head cleaning tape that came with this unit, or is there a better method?
thanks, Ronnie B

Peter J Alessandria February 9th, 2004 06:53 PM

I think you'll find people suggesting using the included (with the 100 - need to buy one with the 100A) Panasonic MiniDV head cleaning tape only when needed, i.e., after noticing image degradation. It's kind of a lame method (waiting until you notice problems) but the head cleaning tapes are abrasive and will eventually damage the camera's heads if used to much. In my experience heads become clogged/dirty all at once - it's not a cummulative kind of thing. Thus unnecessary cleaning can cause more harm (in the long run at least) than good. I say it's a lame method since clogged heads on key shot ruin the shot. There is some kind of a sensor that flashes on screen when the heads are in trouble but I'm not clear if this is more for moisture (in which case letting the heads dry out is the solution) or dirty heads.

Chris Hour February 11th, 2004 12:14 PM

I need advice on a DVX 100...

Hi All,

This is my conundrum…

ZGC has a too good to be true deal on a New DVX-100 (because it has been discontinued).

My Visa is burning a hole in my hand, but I am in Canada eh, and Panasonic Canada will not warrant this camera, it would have to go to the States for service.

The closest service center I have found in the US is in New York City, That’s too far to drive, though I could drive to Buffalo, NY, 1 hour away and send it from there.

Are they reliable enough to not worry about the warranty, I’ve always bought used Pro cams, usually pretty good results, but they have all required some servicing.

Also is it worth to spend the Extra $$$ for the 100A? From what I have read the 100 should suit me fine… The difference I save I can get an anamorphic adaptor after I pay down the Visa…

What would you folks do?

Buy the new cam without a local warranty?

Save $$$ and buy the 100A?

I really value your insights and opinions.

Thanks,

Chris

Ken Tanaka February 11th, 2004 12:27 PM

Hello Chris,
This is a matter that does test one's convictions, eh?

The DVX100 is well-built but is probably no more or less prone to problems than any comparable electronic device. Like all such gadgets, manufacturing problems covered by warranty are most likely to surface when the camera is new.

The fact is that you would most likely be mailing your camera to a service center, even a Canadian one. So, aside from the customs costs and hassles, mailing it to a New York location might not be much different than mailing it to, say, a Calgary location.

Not to direct business away from ZGC, but have you looked into close-out DVX100 stocks at Canadian retailers?

Krishna Narayanamurti February 12th, 2004 06:43 AM

just converted -- new DVX owner observations

I've enjoyed reading other new DVX owners first impressions here, so I thought I'd share mine...

As a die-hard Canon user, I wasn't sure what to expect from my first Panasonic cam. I really felt I could benefit from the 24p & other features the DVX would offer me over my trusty GL2. So, I finally made the order...

My first 100A arrived today from ZGC, and I haven't been able to put it down. Now I'm left trying to figure out if I should keep my GL2 or sell it to buy more accessories for the DVX (or simply more DVX's!).

Things I like better on the DVX:
* picture quality (_in adequate light_) lives up to the hype
* love the focus ring and the corresponding numbers in the lcd/viewfinder... much easier to manual focus (and _rack_ focus) than my GL-2
* big LCD (compared to GL-2's 2.5") - easier to see what you're getting in the absence of a pro monitor
* definitely improved low light (as you would expect from bigger CCDs)

Things I like better on the GL-2:
* audio level dials easier to turn on the GL-2
* 20x zoom with the GL made event videography that much easier. With only half of that range on the DVX, taping from the back of a theater on single-cam shoots is going to be more difficult. then again, i got the DVX primarily for my 'narrative' work, not events, so i can live with less zoom.
* barrel distortion - on the GL-2 hardly noticeable, but on the DVX, the image is almost unacceptable in extreme wide . i realize you can minimize the rounding edges by zooming in with the DVX a little, but what do you do when you have no choice but to be at full wide ...give up on the shot? tear out a wall so you can move further back and then zoom in?

Anyway, hopefully I can post some clips after I've had a chance to really learn how to use all the settings and features on this amazing piece of equipment.

Imran Zaidi February 12th, 2004 10:02 AM

I made the same switch myself recently, from a GL2 to a DVX100A. I've been very impressed thus far.

A note on the barrel distortion - the DVX100A at its widest is wider than the GL2 is at its widest. Almost as wide as my GL2 was with the WD58H wide angle adapter I had, which did have barrel distortion visible. If you match the wide view with the Canon's most wide view, you'll see what I mean.

The zoom on the GL2 is definitely really nice. The lens on the GL2 is really a remarkable achievement. But for the stuff that I do, I very seldom went over half zoom or so with it, so I don't think I'll miss it much. I swear though, when I had the GL2 and went a-zooming, it never failed to surprise me each time. It was like a pair of binoculars!

Another thing about low light... A couple of weeks ago I did a walk through in downtown Orlando at night to see how the DVX does with available light in the city, and it was marvelous! I had tried the same thing with my GL2, and there really was an amazing difference, especially once you fiddle with the chroma settings on the DVX and play with it until you get it just right for the light available. Really no comparison. I'm very happy with the purchase myself.

Neil Goodwin February 24th, 2004 03:33 PM

DVX100 wedding

Just some basic wedding footage using slow-mo and some special effects.

Keep in mind I wasn't the official videographer for the wedding, so I just had a typical aisle seat. Came in pretty well though-was the only one to catch the flying doves at the end outside, so that was nice.

www.dec12studios.net if interested

Marcia Janine Galles February 24th, 2004 06:22 PM

Beautiful, Neil. And I loved the doves being released. A really nice shot.

I'm just handing over a DVD of a wedding I did for a friend, and when I showed him (the father of the bride) the footage of an earlier cut, he just kept raving about what an amazing camera I had. Except for a few screw-ups by the operator (me), it really is really looks great. Rich colors. What a little cam.

Mark Grgurev February 28th, 2004 08:00 PM

Editing gamma and matrix

Is there any way you can change the gamma and matrix from the ones that come standard with the camera. If not, it would be awesome if someone can make something for the DVX100 that could allow you to make gamma curves and matrices on your computer and then import them into the camera so that you can record in that gamma curve. This way you can make it look like any film stock you want.

Grant McClintock February 28th, 2004 09:46 PM

Making a DVD??

I am a still photographer new to all this. I need to produce a dvd for a client. Low budget. I want to do it myself. I am going to edit in Final Cut Express. I will buy either the dvx 100 or 80. I am looking for, as much as possible, a "film look" with as few complications in capturing and editing as possible. I assume 24p is out. Is 30p the way to go (over 60i)? Does this work in FCE. Final product is dvd to be view on TV. Many thanks. Grant McClintock

Stephen van Vuuren February 28th, 2004 11:02 PM

The gamma is not changeable by any reasonable means. However, shooting cinema gamma allows the maximum flexibility to create altered gamma's in post. Search here for much more info on cinegamma.

Stephen van Vuuren February 28th, 2004 11:04 PM

The opposite - 24p is ideal for DVD. Read the Sonic Foundry whitepaper for info about this. I'm not sure in Final Cut Express support both pulldown methods, but the DVX100 is the way to go for filmlook.

Bryan Roberts March 2nd, 2004 01:03 AM

How close are auto Iris settings?

Hey all. Just a quick question: since it's so hard to judge exposure on the LCD and I won't have a field monitor any time soon, is it good to use the Auto Iris as a guide to correct exposure (obviously excluding situations like shooting in front of a window etc.) or is there a rule that you should stop down slightly from the auto? Thanks guys.

Peter Sieben March 2nd, 2004 01:15 AM

Hi Bryan,

In the Scene Files you can adjust the amount of opening or closing of the iris according to your wishes.

You are not the only one mentioning that it's hard to use the LCD screen. However, I do all the exposuring on the screen and it never fails me. Make sure you check the exposuring with the LCD in the right angle, as it shows a bit lighter when it's leavered a bit up or down.
After checking my iris settings with the LCD I freeze the auto exposure and twist a bit with the dial button to check if there is any special light condition. Putting on the zebra function helps to warn for over exposured areas in the screen.

I'm not sure if this a film school method, but it works for me.

Cheers,

Peter

Chris Goodyear March 16th, 2004 08:23 AM

stereo mike for dvx-100

Could someone suggest a high quality stereo mic to use on my camera when filming street marching bands??? thank you

Tim Borek March 16th, 2004 12:14 PM

stereo recording

I can't recommend a good stereo microphone, but I can offer you a suggestion: Try using two wireless lav mics w/cardioid pickup pattern, and connect each of the two receivers into an XLR jack on the camera. The main advantage is that no matter where you move your camera during the shoot, you'll have a consistent stereo soundfield. For example, horns recorded on the left channel will stay left even you decide to shoot from the side or any other angle. Just a thought. . . .

Meindert Bosma March 19th, 2004 02:59 AM

Where to Buy

I want to buy a PAL DVX100A in USA anybody here a clue where to buy at a good prive. I can find E model but need A model

Thanks for information

Meindert

Frank Granovski March 19th, 2004 04:07 AM

E stands for Europe, so it's a PAL version of the DVX100. Has the updated version been released in Europe? Perhaps contact B&H and ask them if the have the PAL version of the DVX100A, meaning not the DVX100.

Jeff Patnaude March 19th, 2004 09:10 AM

NEW REVIEW FOR DVX-100 By ASC-Wait, THERE'S MORE!

Been lurking and waiting to see if anyone else saw this:

<http://www.theasc.com/magazine/product.htm>

Good article by ASC cinematographers.

Also, Hasn't anyone noticed the article about Nancy Schreiber winning the Sundance Film Fest Award with a DVX100?

< http://www.digitalpostproduction.com/2004/02_feb/news/panasonic0212.htm>

and...

< http://www.panasonic.com/PBDS/subcat/newsinfo/press_04/04_10.html>

Makes me want to sell my body to buy one!

Jeff P :>)

Boyd Ostroff March 19th, 2004 10:33 AM

Re: NEW REVIEW FOR DVX-100 By ASC-Wait, THERE'S MORE!

<<<-- Originally posted by Jeff Patnaude : Been lurking and waiting to see if anyone else saw this:

<http://www.theasc.com/magazine/product.htm>

I think that's an old article (although a good one) and it has been discussed here quite some time ago...

Joe Lloyd March 28th, 2004 10:07 PM

looking to get a second camera

Hi there,

I'm looking for another camera. So far I've nailed it down to the DVX100AE or the Canon Xl1s E. I currently have an XM2. The removable lens isn't an issue as much as trying to match up with the XM2 for videos. Primary use would be short films and music videos. Any ideas or thoughts on this would help

Imran Zaidi March 28th, 2004 10:10 PM

I had a GL2 and then moved up to the DVX100A. With some manipulation they could be made to match up I imagine, but you would have some difficulty. The DVX100 makes a much nicer picture, and just generally handles colors and detail in much different way than the Canon.

So if matching them up is of primary importance, go with another Canon, I'd say. But if you just want a really good camera, go for the DVX.

Adam Lawrence March 30th, 2004 08:19 PM

DVX100 at NAB

Thinking about picking up a DVX100 at NAB....anyone know of any special packages or deals in the works???

Thanks in advance..

-Adam

Chris Hurd March 30th, 2004 11:49 PM

Our sponsors B&H and EVS are always at NAB. Be sure to check out their show specials.

Michael Petro April 9th, 2004 04:48 PM

Got it (dvx100a) evsonline is awesome

Just got the camera today. And wanted to say a few things:

1) evsonline rulez <--(still think putting z at end of word iz kewl :)

2) Camera has lots of buttons

3) Squeeeze mode looks awesome (r u allowed 2 say awesome twice in the same post../checking post rulez)

4)I now have something to do this weekend :)

5)Vegas(check) AE6(check)

6)I am now broke:) AND YESSS I am excited.

-->that is all
Michael Petro
http://www.petrovideo.com

Chris Hurd April 9th, 2004 10:13 PM

Thanks, Michael -- we were proud to bring EVS on board here at DV Info. They're a top-notch dealer. Congrats on your purchases,

Jeff Johnson April 13th, 2004 11:58 AM

What causes the diagonal 'jaggies' when panning?

Hi all-

Just curious what I'm doing wrong. My DVX looks great, but when I move the tripod head during a shot, I see kind of a stairstepping effect on diagonal lines in the background. I notice it more on tilting top to bottom type maneuvers than side to side.

Is this what they call an inetrlace artifact? I only notice it on my NTSC TV which is firewired to my DV deck-

Thanks for any thoughts-

Jeff

Voytek Stitko April 18th, 2004 07:12 PM

anamorphic lens adapter

Where can I get the best price for anamorphic lens adpter?

B&H sell it for 849$

thanks,
voytek

Ken Tanaka April 19th, 2004 08:50 AM

We encourage you to support the sponsors that support this site. You'll get the best prices and the most reliable service.

Guy Shaddock April 19th, 2004 10:06 PM

Best Wireless Mic for DVC 80

I am contemplating purchasing the Sony UWP C2 wireless mic for my DVC 80. B&H sells for $500 US. Does anyone have experience with this unit? It is a UHF and diversity set up.

Michael Sage April 22nd, 2004 01:34 PM

Polarize.. Wide or Std??

1. Does the DVX100 NEED a wide polarizer filter, or will the standard filter be OK?
2. Is the "encased" polarizer worth the extra $
** I'm condsidering B+H

David A. Johnson April 22nd, 2004 02:09 PM

I don't know first-hand, but asked the same question. I was informed that a standard polarizer does just fine with no vignetting...

Tung Bui April 22nd, 2004 10:52 PM

squeezing lowlight 100a

Just discovered that I can run the shutter on the 100a to 1/25th instead of 1/50th for the pal model and still be able to use gain up. The slower shutter gives me an extra 2 stops and going up to 6db( the most you can go up before grain becomes unacceptable) and extra 2 stops. The payoff is extra motion blur but it depends on what you are doing. If shooting weddings where people arent running around and you are mainly shooting talking heads then i think it is more than acceptable.
In interlace mode you can use the slow shutter to 1/25th as well but you cannot gain up. Therefore in progressive with the slower shutter you can actually get a brighter and less grainy image than you can in interlaced.
Just my two cents worth. The more i play with this thing the more I find out about it. In cineV you get a much "punchier" picture than in the other cine modes. People have noted that the image is muted in the old dvx compared to the pd170 but I think the 100a fixes this too.

Barry Green April 22nd, 2004 11:44 PM

For clarification, shooting at 1/25 instead of 1/50 gives you one additional stop, not two. And 6db of gain = 1 stop. So by going 1/25 + 6db, you're getting two stops more brightness, meaning you need 1/4 as much light to get the same exposure as you would if you'd shot at 1/50 with 0 gain.