DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/)
-   -   What causes this "zzzzzt"? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/109571-what-causes-zzzzzt.html)

Helen Habib December 5th, 2007 11:02 AM

What causes this "zzzzzt"?

Hi, perhaps someone can suggest what the reason for this is?

I bought the Panasonic AG-DVC30 from the used department at B&H in September of this year. It was virtually brand new as it registered 0 hours. I've done about 3 hours of videotaping on it already and on playback there is an extremely quick, split-second line that appears on the TV screen. This happens very infrequently but I'm concerned that it's there at all.

It's almost as if there's some interference or something that was recorded, not much sound comes out when it happens as I recall. Maybe an extremely brief "zzzt" if that much.

What do you think this could be?

Hans Ledel December 6th, 2007 11:54 AM

It could be a "dropout" due to a dirty drum.

Try a cleaning tape and run that for about 10 sec.
Sometimes even new cams need to have the drum cleaned.

Helen Habib December 6th, 2007 12:10 PM

Thank you! I will clean the drum.

Bob Hart December 11th, 2007 06:03 AM

Helen.

Chances are that it is a new drum and heads polishing down into conformity with the shape of the tape passing around.

Stay with one brand of tape. Don't mix Sony and any other brand. If you have started on Sony tapes, then stay with them.

("Zzzzzzt" sounds benign compared to some of the sound which come out of faulty playback.)

Keep an eye on the problem and log all uses so the times it occurrs will appear in a systematic accurate account. Include in your log, the timecode number. This is sometimes helpful in identifying a tension fault in the tape transport.

Likely you will see a decreasing trend as the transport settles down. If there is an increasing trend, then you may need to have it looked at.

Helen Habib December 11th, 2007 06:22 AM

Bob, thanks very much. I'm only using Panasonic tapes and the Panasonic head cleaner. I'll follow your suggestion about noting when it occurs.

I'm relieved that, judging from your both comments (Hans and you), it doesn't appear to be a technical problem.

Hans Ledel December 11th, 2007 09:51 AM

Helen, I´ve had a couple of "zzzzt" on my GS 400 when it was new, shortly followed by a "clean drum " message on my cam.

I did use a cleaning tape and the problem was gone.

Cheers

Hans

Helen Habib December 11th, 2007 11:18 AM

Hans, it's a relief to hear that!!

Bob Hart December 11th, 2007 04:26 PM

There will come the time when it should be serviced. Probably about 300 hours or so might be the time. Follow your manufacturere's recommendations over anything I say.

However if it gets dusted or ocean beach sand on it, have it looked at.

Anecdotally, it seems that after a first re-alignment of the transport, it lasts longer before the next one is needed, all else being equal.

Helen Habib December 12th, 2007 06:06 AM

Okay, thanks again.