DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/)
-   -   DVX Audio Input Question (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/11004-dvx-audio-input-question.html)

Peter Jefferson June 19th, 2003 12:59 AM

DVX Audio Input Question

okies, i jsut got the DVX and cant wait to start filming, but before i do, im tryin to decipher the best way to connect a Sennheiser Reciever, MC100 shotgun and run the internal mics...

basically id like to have the Lav mics on ch1 (R), the shotgun on CH2 (L) and internal to be stereo...
and swtich between the 3 when needed independantly.

Basically run the lav for vows, then the Shotgun continues recording the ambience (which wil be mixed in Post)

for receptions with no speech, id be running the internal mics for the stereoscopic pick up..

Does anyone already do this??

What configs do i need to switch between to get this happening..
I thought id ask here in case i miss aything, as i have only been experimenting...

thanx in advance

Peter Jefferson June 19th, 2003 10:21 AM

someones gotta know this!! I msure someone out there is using the mic inputs this way???

anyone???

Mike Morrell June 19th, 2003 12:09 PM

I'd be interested in the answer to this question as well. I have never used the second audio pair and always have shot in 16bit mode. But it would be nice to record a lav, shotgun, and the cam's stereo all at the same time. I have never looked into trying it. I had thought that if you were using 12 bit audio that you could not record all 4 channels at once and that you could only use the other pair for dubbing later. But recording two pairs at once has some appeal if the DVX can do it.

Peter Jefferson June 20th, 2003 10:24 AM

actually i wasnt out to record all channels at once... i jsut needed to figure out the config on how to have 3 different mics and be able to switch between the 3....

although i can see the potential for having them all goin on at once, and that question youve bought up is intriguing...

i honestly wouldnt know, and would love to hear a solution to our conundrum... :)

(yup, i been drinkin!!!)

Peter Jefferson June 22nd, 2003 08:02 AM

i worked it out today...

okies, heres what i did...

I ran the MC100 thru input 2... then ran the Sennheiser112 Lapel Mic into input 1...
switched on on power for both (which does indeed drain battery)..
then switched input one to the middle switch to be ch1 input 1 and input 2 to ch2 input 2... (None internal)
This gave me both mics picking up their subjects on 2 seperate channels, which could be easily reprocessed into stereo in post.

Then when i needed to switch back to the shotgun to be dual mono, i flip the ch1 switch down to input 2....
Voila... so now we got the mic mixer happening... (which is prolly obvious to most but i needed to test my theories and give Mike an answer to his question....

which is no...

you cant have the stereo mic pick up a stereo feed while using 2 different XLR inputs...

YOU CAN however have the shotgun set to Ch2 input 2, then set Ch1 input 1 as internal, and that WILL feed a Mono channel seperation for each mic... Basically, teh shotgun pics up one channel, and the stereo internal mic picks up the other...
I found the internal mic to be quieter than the MC100 by the way, but obviously not directional)

it would be good if we could record 4 ch at once... saves hassles with post when creating 5.1 environments... but it is physically impossible as teh switches themselves are configured for one input at a time.. maybe pana will do a BIOS upgrade to allow a live feed to go into the RCA inputs... now that IS possible with SW... but for now, im afraid we have to do with switching channels for a dual mono or a mix of 2 seperate mic inputs at once...

Persoanlly, im happy with the setup... too many mics and too many monitors to keep track of can detract from the job at hand...