DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/)
-   -   Pal version worth it? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/11014-pal-version-worth.html)

Paul Brown June 19th, 2003 09:20 AM

Pal version worth it?

I have been reading all I have found online about this cam and it does seem very exciting...but for a hobbyist like me, well....

The thing is I would like to move up to a higher end cam in the XM2 (GL2) range, but I am considering the Panasonic as a higher alternative. My doubts really are the following. The NTSC version seem to offer more options (namely a 30fps) than the Pal version (I live in Pal land), and this seems to be a big plus as to filming in progressive mode under certain conditions. Does this make the PAL version less attractive/Value for $$$)? In other words, is the PAL version really worth it?

You may ask if I really need the 25p feature (I am asking myself that too!!) but I do think that it is a great way to learn more about filming and that is one of the reasons I am thinking about moving up into a higher end cam...If the 25p is really something not worth fidling with for a hobby, the new AGDV80 by Pana (the ADVX without the progressive mode) may seem a good alternative but I don't think the difference in price really justifies a step down...

What do you all think? Any other good alternatives around or worth waiting for??

many thanks in advance for your inputs!

Paul.

Peter Jefferson June 19th, 2003 10:07 AM

well, i been using progressive off 2 MX500's for weddings and i find that it is extremely useful in that sense... see it depends on the environment your filming in..
I opted for the DVX as its DoF and image quality is above and beyond any other on the market.
I went thru canons and sonys and in all honesty this poo poo'd on everything.

One thing to note, the PAL version doesnt have the 24p, in turn it does have the 25p.. close and in all honesty to the naked eye and to those who arent purists, the image is fine.
Also the PAL version has a higher resolution and line count (which is normal), and this in itself is good enough to sell the unit.

The CineGamma is incredible.. and i find clients are appreciative of teh fact taht the camera itself does things that no other camera can do...

low light shooting can make a 60w light bulb look like a spotty at +12db.. and thres the 18db which DOES have some noise.. but you probably wont ever need it.

As for 30fps, thats for NTSC models... the Pal runs 50i and 25p and for what i do im happy with it as i can do captures and print them out and you would be able to tell its from video.
Thats another good use for preogressive, still capture doesnt have interlaced fields, so theres no "blur"

Im still mucking about with the DVX, and im sure there are afew here who know it back to front (not me.. yet) .. but from one of the few who has a pal model i can say its probably the best thing i bought for my business.. the picture and sound quality alone craps on everything else..

from what i know the DVC80 wont be available in PAL regions

Shai Levy June 20th, 2003 07:08 AM

hi paul,
i own the PAL version and love it!!! after shooting with progressive mode, it becomes hard to go down to 50i. 25P looks so great and was exactly what i needed to step into "video-land" from "film-land".
if you're living in PAL country than you shouldn't get an NTSC, IMO. even if you're thinking of printing your movies to film, than 4% slowing down is the cost (and a pitch correction for sound)... quite a common process. and if you stay on video, you just got an easy 25p > 50i technology, no weird pulldowns and dependency on the new FCP4, DVFilmmaker and co.

i have this camera for less than a month, shooting with it documentaries and some short fictions, i'm getting used already to see people dropping their jaws in front of the monitor... :) and as much as i learn how to play with it...

Shai Levy June 20th, 2003 07:09 AM

oh.. btw
PAL is more expansive due to customs definitions inside the EU. nothing else.