DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/)
-   -   Anamorphic DVX100 - Problem (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/11083-anamorphic-dvx100-problem.html)

Mike Morrell June 21st, 2003 05:18 AM

Anamorphic DVX100 - Problem

I did some shooting yesterday with the anamorphic lens. I shot in regular 60i mode. The manual says not to use OIS, which I did not but the balancing of the camera is now such that I have a very hard time holding the camera steady with hand held shots.

But my biggest problem and concern with these lenses is focusing. I have found it impossible to focus in telephoto (zoom) mode. The manual says not to use the autofocus, so I started focussing manualy but could never get to a focussed image when zoomed in. I set it to autofocus and it focused OK for images where the it was again not zoomed all the way. So I have not figured out how to focus this camera with any significant zooming.

Has anyone else had a focus problem with the lens? Any hints, tricks? Anyone else achive sharp focus in zoom mode with the lens? Maybe my lens is defective? I need to do a shoot today and if I cannot figure this out before I leave, the lenses are staying in the bag and I'll have to shoot 4x3.

If the my focus problem is typical of the lens, I would NOT recommend buying one. This problem is very disapointing.

Stephen van Vuuren June 21st, 2003 08:50 AM

I don't have the lens, but someone sent me some full rez clips they shot with it. The clips looked great except for the full telephoto which displayed bizarre focus - most of the shot was very out of focus but not evenly. Other wide shots looked fine.

It left me with some concern about telephoto focus.

It's quite noticable, even on low-rez screen grabs:

http://www.sevensmilingsharks.com/FocusAna.jpg
http://www.sevensmilingsharks.com/FocusLB.jpg
http://www.sevensmilingsharks.com/PersonAna.jpg
http://www.sevensmilingsharks.com/PersonLB.jpg

Mike Morrell June 21st, 2003 10:49 AM

After reading the camera manual, I may be at least partly to blame. When the cam is set to ATW, I did not have the automatic focus bybass set. So the camera was trying to autofocus even though I had switch set to manual. Now I have got it set up and it looks like I can manualy focus in telephoto mode, but AF still does not work.

Stephen van Vuuren June 21st, 2003 10:53 AM

Thanks for the update. Keep us posted. I am sitting on the fence about going anamorphic myself.

Post some screen grabs (you can use my site if you need a spot) including full telephoto when you get a chance.

Jeff Kilgroe June 21st, 2003 01:15 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Stephen van Vuuren : Thanks for the update. Keep us posted. I am sitting on the fence about going anamorphic myself.

Post some screen grabs (you can use my site if you need a spot) including full telephoto when you get a chance. -->>>

I started the other thread on here about where to find the anamorphic adapter. Turns out B&H does have it in stock (and I found a few other places too) I was just typing in the wrong part number and it didn't show in the accessory list for the DVX100.

Anyway, in my searches for the anamorphic adapter, I have concluded that I don't want it. After seeing a bunch of screen grabs that have been cropped and squeezed to 16:9, the loss of detail is really not that bad and IMO is far less detrimental to the image than the loss of overall clarity when the video is shot through the anamorphic adapter. Not to mention, every still I've seen with the anamorphic adapter has shown barrelling effects that increase on the sides of the image.

I think for the going rate of $800, I'll pass and do the 16:9 modifications in post.

I'm still playing though - I use an XL1s regularly and have been testing a new JVC HD1 (yuck). I just borrowed this DVX100 to give it a try and I'm now seriously considering it to purchase for 480p video since the XL1S's frame mode doesn't compare and the JVC HD/SD attempt is just a mess.

Just my $0.02. BTW: I also do a lot of scuba diving when I get the chance and I figure not buying the anamorphic lense leaves me with $800 toward an underwater housing for the camera, which I will use.

Mike Morrell June 22nd, 2003 05:21 AM

I exchanged e-mails with BizMax and they said that they did not know what the problem was but that they would ask Panasonic about it. There is the following text in the manual and I really do not understand it.

"When using the maximum setting for the zoom position in
the tele (T) range with this lens attached, the point-blank
range for focusing will be approximately 3 meters."

After shooting about 5 hours of tape yesterday with two of these lenses with two cameras, I would warn anyone to stay away from the lens if they need to shoot with the the camera zoomed in. I would at least wait until Panasonic explains further.

Stephen, I doubt that I'll have any time in the next couple of weeks to capture the footage onto my computer. I've got some other projects to do. But as soon as I do, I'll post again with a link to screen shots.

Mike Morrell June 23rd, 2003 09:08 AM

You can see some samples of my problem by browsing to the following link. I was not using a field monitor to establish focus, just the LCD screen. However, in the full motion clip (not on the web site), I can see where I used the focus ring to attempt to attain focus going below and beyond the point where the first picture is focussed. This picture has the "best" focus at any distance that I used. Therefore, I do not think that a field monitor would have helped me much.

http://www.bigdigital.us/dvx100/

click on the above link for examples.

Mike Morrell June 23rd, 2003 09:50 AM

Biz-Max spoke with Panasonic and they are telling me that I should be able to focus in telephoto mode as long as I'm not using autofocus. I have asked if they can set up a meeting for me with a Panasonic rep who can show me how to fucus with this lens. I'm in the Atlanta area if anyone else is interested in trying it out for themselves. I'd be happy to eat my words if someone can show me how to focus these lenses.

Zac Stein June 23rd, 2003 09:55 AM

Just a simple question without wading through all the links and stuff...

When using the 16x9 adapter is there a softness added to the picture or does it look just as sharp and good as not using it?

Zac

Mike Morrell June 23rd, 2003 10:07 AM

Since I have not yet been able to obtain excellent results from this lens and the problem "might" be due to user error, I'm probably not the best person to answer your question, yet. From what Ihave seen on my 92" HD monitor, I'd say that its soft. But so much depends on what settings are used on the camera. One must really do an A/B comparison with the same settings with and without the lens to accurately answer your question. I'm learning how to use the camera at the same time that I'm learning how to use the lenses, so I'm probably not properly equiped to answer your question. Thus far, I have not seen any other posts on this forum from anyone more equiped to answer you either.

Mike Morrell June 25th, 2003 01:41 PM

The following quote is apparently from a Panasonic rep who sent it to my sales rep.

"Here is some reply from Panasonic:

1. The object must not be less then 3 meter away from the camera.
2. The center area of the lens can have good focus even zoom in.
3. The side of the picture , due to anamophic lens character, there is nothing can be done. All anamophic Lens will ave "funny" picture on the side.""

Based on the above, I would stay away from this lens like the plague. If the sides are always "funny", in effect, you are loosing a LOT of resolution. The only point in shooting anamorphic in the first place is not to loose resolution for 16x9 projects. I'd suggest that one simply uses the 16x9 matte box provided with the camera given this problem.

Now I have to try and get my money back for two lenses....or its ebay and away with them one way or the other.