DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/)
-   -   Looking for Anamorphic lens/ DVX100 Footage to analyze (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/11135-looking-anamorphic-lens-dvx100-footage-analyze.html)

Michael Pappas June 22nd, 2003 12:32 PM

Looking for Anamorphic lens/ DVX100 Footage to analyze

Looking for Anamorphic lens/DVX100 Footage to analyze

Does anyone have any footage from the DVX100 that was shot with the anamorphic adapter that that can be uploaded or know of location on line to download. I wanted to try out the adapter but my dealer does not have one and does not have them in stock. I would like to pipe a few seconds out to a monitor to analyze. Thanks...

Michael Pappas

Stephen van Vuuren June 22nd, 2003 12:42 PM

Michael:

An user called ICExpo on the "other" DVX100 list had some footage that he made privately available. My conclusions were inconclusive because of the telephoto focusing problems.

Rodger Marjama June 22nd, 2003 02:08 PM

I have the footage made mention to here. I guess I would need to ask ICExpo if he would mind if I made it available on-line.

I am just starting to setup a new website, so I suppose I could put there for a day or 2.

I'll post here once I see.

-Rodger

Michael Pappas June 22nd, 2003 02:21 PM

Rodger that would be great if you could. Thanks!

Chris Hurd June 22nd, 2003 03:04 PM

Roger

I have plenty of web storage space and monthly bandwidth allowance here on DV Info to assist hosting these clips, if neccessary... please let me know; I'd be glad to help out.

Rodger Marjama June 22nd, 2003 07:51 PM

Anamorphic .vs 4:3 footage is up...

Although my site is still being put together, I've put up four (4) clips in total showing a comparison between the 4.3 mode .vs the Panasonic Anamorphic Adapter.

Both sets of shots were done using essentially the same scene and camera movements -- One with the anamorphic adapter and one without (4:3 mode).

These were taken and kindly provided to me by ICExpo from 2-pop's DVX100 forum. You may visit his site at www.icexpo.com and thank him if you find these in anyway useful.

Here is the link to these clips:

http://www.4site-communications.com/...download&cid=3

-Rodger

P.S. - I will monitor these downloads to make sure it isn't to excessive on my bandwidth. If you would all kindly save them to your disk after downloading just in case you need them again. This will help. If it is too excessive I will upload them to Chris Hurd if that is acceptable with ICExpo.

Thanks.

Stephen van Vuuren June 22nd, 2003 08:15 PM

Did you ever get the telephoto from him? I have both, but the telephoto anamorphic is very out of focus.

Rodger Marjama June 22nd, 2003 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Stephen van Vuuren : Did you ever get the telephoto from him? I have both, but the telephoto anamorphic is very out of focus.
Yes I've got both the anamorphic and the LB mode. To my eyes both look blurry. The LB mode seems to have alot of twitter during pans on the fence pickets and elsewhere. Did you playback the anamorphic on any HD devices?

Stephen van Vuuren June 22nd, 2003 09:08 PM

I don't have an HD device...

Michael Pappas June 22nd, 2003 09:50 PM

Thanks for posting the Clips! I am downloading right now. I am on the MAC at this point, my PC is down. Is there a way to play AVI on OS9. Also each of the files is called modules.php. What is php. ?

Michael Pappas

Michael Pappas June 22nd, 2003 10:30 PM

The clips download, but it is only 7mb not 77.14mb as listed below.

<<<__AnamorphicMaxWideCloseFocus_
Description: Maximum wideangle and close focus using Panasonics Anamorphic Adapter.
Version: .avi | Filesize: 77.14 MB
Added on: 22-Jun-2003 | Downloads: 11
Homepage | Details>>>>

Rodger Marjama June 22nd, 2003 11:08 PM

They should play on a mac (any version) fine. I play them on a PC (All my computers are PC) and use QuickTime Player alot of the time. I don't believe there should be any problems on a mac.

Yes, the listed filesizes are correct. If you only got 7 mb, something is amiss somewhere. I d/l'ed these from my server before posting the link, so I'm pretty sure its alright on my side.

I will be posting a compilation of these (and 2 more) videos into a Quicktime (.mov) file for those with low bandwidth. Using Vegas, I stretched the letterbox up to 4:3 ratio and rendered as a 428x240 (16:9) video in Quicktime. I also put titles on each clip, either "16:9" or "LETTERBOX".

I suppose it may help some with dialup.

Mike Morrell June 23rd, 2003 06:00 AM

I've viewed anamorphic clips directly from my dvx100 on my 92" widescreen HD projection system and I can tell you that telephoto looks HORRID and anything near telephoto looks bad. Perhaps I am doing something wrong with the camera when shooting and my B cameraman is doing the same thing incorrectly, but neither of us has found it possible to focus with these anamorphic lenses at anything close to telephoto. We are using two different lenses on two different cameras, so I'm sure its not that I simply am using defective lenses.

If anyone has some hints to how one can obtain good focus in telephoto with the anamorphic lens that they can share with me, I'd be happy to try them and report back. Winston from BizMax told me that he would also talk to Panasonic about my problem today. Until I can obtain acceptable results from this lens, I would stay away from purchasing it. The existence of the lens was in large part why I purchased the camera(s). Thus far, however, I'm thinking that I made a huge mistake.

Rodger Marjama June 23rd, 2003 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Mike Morrell : I've viewed anamorphic clips directly from my dvx100 on my 92" widescreen HD projection system and I can tell you that telephoto looks HORRID and anything near telephoto looks bad. Perhaps I am doing something wrong with the camera when shooting and my B cameraman is doing the same thing incorrectly, but neither of us has found it possible to focus with these anamorphic lenses at anything close to telephoto. We are using two different lenses on two different cameras, so I'm sure its not that I simply am using defective lenses.

If anyone has some hints to how one can obtain good focus in telephoto with the anamorphic lens that they can share with me, I'd be happy to try them and report back. Winston from BizMax told me that he would also talk to Panasonic about my problem today. Until I can obtain acceptable results from this lens, I would stay away from purchasing it. The existence of the lens was in large part why I purchased the camera(s). Thus far, however, I'm thinking that I made a huge mistake.
Have you tried using either a larger LCD or Field monitor to check focus when at or near telephoto?

Mike Morrell June 23rd, 2003 06:44 AM

No, I dont have a field monitor. Its not practicle for weddings. But I have gone the full range of fucus without finding focus. I might be able to get closer to focus with a monitor, but I still don't think its possible to obtain focus.

http://www.bigdigital.us/dvx100/

click on the above link for examples.