FINALLY, able to post some of my work shot on my DVX100 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old June 22nd, 2003, 07:50 PM   #1
Wrangler

FINALLY, able to post some of my work shot on my DVX100

Much thanks goes out to Ed Troxel for providing space for this on his site and taking the time to upload it.
Beware it's only an opening to a recent wedding video I'm finsihing up so it's nothing exciting per'say- I just figured I'd post it to at least share some actual video work with you guys for once.
Now keep in mind it's highly compressed (WMV) and was shot in standard F1 (60i), edited in Premiere (ugh...can't wait to make the move to Vegas *still training*)
I've seen how harsh people have been on work other have posted so I'm prepared for the worst. Here goes nothing:

www.jetdv.com/scripts/openingwmv.wmv

Once again, thanks Ed!
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2003, 08:06 PM   #2
Wrangler

It's the first wedding I actually worked with more than minor adjustments to the footage in post.

Oh and like another member posted...you can tell the wmv was shot on a DVX100 due to the black and grey verticle stripe to the far right. The black blends in with the black background of media player but you can see the feint grey stripe to the far right. It's not a big deal beings it lies far, FAR into the overscan zone....just an interesting observation.

Vegas is comming along good. As you may have read I picked up the Class On Demand DVD training series for it and I'm enjoying it quite a bit. I still have yet to edit an entire peice in Vegas...just small tid bits and experimentations. I'm sure I'll forumulate a million and one questions once I get my feet wet with a full fledge project. And I'm sure you know where I'll come whinning for answers! :)
Old June 22nd, 2003, 08:06 PM   #3
Major Player

Loved it! What was that music? Sounds familiar, like something from "Gettysburg" or. . .
Old June 22nd, 2003, 08:12 PM   #4
Space Hipster

Glen:

Very nice work. What stabilization device did you use?
Old June 22nd, 2003, 08:14 PM   #5
Wrangler

Hehe, yeah I figured alot of people would have the same reaction regarding the music..."hmm sounds familiar- where have I heard it?!"
The song is used in so many movie trailers- more recently for a trailer staring Cuba Gooding Jr. playing a mentaly retarded man in the 60's (forget the name of the movie) and again this weekend in a trailer for a movie in the beginning of the Hulk.
The music originated from Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story. It's actually part of the score. In other words there are a dozen tracks on the album all sharing the same tune but in with different speeds and rythms. Apparently the composer (not sure of his name off hand) sold the rights to that particular track or entire score- thus the reason most people have heard it before...even ones that haven't seen the Bruce Lee movie back in the mid 90's.

Anyway I'm glad you liked it. It's nice to be able to share some of my work. Talking about it is nice and all but it never suffices for actually seeing peoples individual work. I wish I could share more- I have so much work I'm just sitting on. 5-6 weddings, shorts, and a full- length documentary. I will, in time, get a site setup and upload loads of it. Thats the downside of trying to always learn new applications- I never have the time to sit down and learn HTML! ugh
Old June 22nd, 2003, 08:15 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Really Nice. It gave me some ideas for when my brother gets married and I do his video
Brian Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2003, 08:16 PM   #7
DVX User

wholly crap.. I wish you would of shot my wedding. INCREDIBLE!

Thanks for sharing.

Oh, and Vegas Kicks ass.
Jarred Land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2003, 08:19 PM   #8
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by Stephen van Vuuren : Glen:

Very nice work. What stabilization device did you use? -->>>

Darn I can't keep up with the posts- hehe, so fast it's almost like a chat room on here tonight!
Thanks Stephen- I'm suprised you even thought it "was" a stabalization device!!! Reason being I was very dissapointed with my stabilized shots from that wedding. And to answer your question I work with a glidecam 4000. I've gotten such good results shooting in controlled environments (ie around the house and backyard) with it- I felt like I failed to reproduce the shots when under the stress in the field at a wedding. It's quite hard to use the Glidecam at weddings thus the reason I didn't use it for the last one we shot yesterday evening. It takes so long to set up and balance...and there's no way to attach and remove quickly. You always need the use of a large flat-head. I could opt for a bogen quick release plate, though- even using that I'd still have to rebalance it every time I removed and re-attached the DVX. For now I'll pine over if I'm going to continue using it for wedding projects.
Old June 22nd, 2003, 08:25 PM   #9
Space Hipster

Yeah, I'm still looking for the holy grail of stabilizers...I had a steaditracker but sold it for the same setup time reasons as well as arm & back strain (on those reverse trucks & dollies).

I would like a easy balance with lock, quick release, pan, tilt and truck action...and a price less than the camera.

Here's to dreams :)
Old June 22nd, 2003, 08:25 PM   #10
DVX User

Glen.. carefull about the Bogen QR.. .I bought the 501 assembly with plate for my glidecam and the damn thing wouldnt work because there isn't any clearence for the clamp to tighten.

All I did though is Mark all the screw locations with a paint pen, painted the weights (so they wouldnt slide around) and marked the hole I mount the glidecam. I actually lost that stupid camera screw a few times.. still looking for a solution to that.

Hopefully glidecam can figure out something quicker in future models, as the number one reason i dont use it as much as I should is the 15 minutes it takes to mount the thing.

In a perfect world I guess I would just have a spare DVX on there at all times :)
Old June 22nd, 2003, 08:26 PM   #11
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by Jarred Land : wholly crap.. I wish you would of shot my wedding. INCREDIBLE!

Thanks for sharing.

Oh, and Vegas Kicks ass. -->>>

Wow, thanks man- your the last person I thought would be handing me compliments with the bout of bickering we did a few weeks back. :) Much appreciated.

Darn I have to try and post another shot you guys might dig- it's a montage I'm using for the end of the video for all the credits for the bridal party members- I shot it entirely on my glidecam....a bit smoother results than the shots from the chapel beings it was done during the down-time between the ceremony and reception, where I had time to balance the rig correctly and work with it for about 30-45 minutes.
Old June 22nd, 2003, 08:31 PM   #12
DVX User

hey, great work takes presidence over BS talk and Bawk.

You showed what you are made of; and if it matters you are all right by me... :)

It's nice to see some actual creativity in Wedding shots; you would be surprised how lame some proffesional stuff is.
Old June 22nd, 2003, 08:34 PM   #13
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by Stephen van Vuuren : Yeah, I'm still looking for the holy grail of stabilizers...I had a steaditracker but sold it for the same setup time reasons as well as arm & back strain (on those reverse trucks & dollies).

I would like a easy balance with lock, quick release, pan, tilt and truck action...and a price less than the camera.

Here's to dreams :) -->>>

Well I was entertaining the thought of going with a V8 rig from Glidecam I'm sure that would yeilds some impressive results though it's quite pricey. Plus the fact I'd look like an idiot walking around in a wedding shoot wearing that contraption.
Regarding straing- yeah I'm not too bad beings I come from a powerlifting background- I'm a pretty big guy (5'11, 265lbs) but even I feel it in the back when using it for extended periods of time. I considered picking up the forearm brace they offer for it but don't feel I use it enough for extended periods of time to warrant the purchase. Heck I feel it when I shot a wedding handheld with my GL-1 (with Sennhiesser ME66 w/ Beachtek adapter and larger battery) My back was splitting by the end of the night- that was that for strictly hand held shoots! I know ALWAYS do the shots on tripod unless it's running around on the dance floor to get various shots (ie times where I have to be more moble)

Jared, thanks for the heads up regarding the bogen quick release plate. I saw on the glidecam operators message board that some users were able to use one of the bogen qr plates but I forget the model #. I actually own a 501 head w/ qr plate...and never even though to try and connect it to the glidecam- guess it's good I didn't, apparently I would have been dissapointed.
Old July 11th, 2003, 04:50 AM   #14
RED Code Chef

It is down now?

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2003, 05:15 AM   #15
Mark Bradford

couldn't access video

When I tried to watch the online video, I was unable to access it. The link : went to an error page...
www.jetdv.com/scripts/openingwmv.wmv

Is there another link to it... (thanks)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant