DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/)
-   -   New owner question re DOF v filters or post (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/11221-new-owner-question-re-dof-v-filters-post.html)

Marcia Janine Galles June 24th, 2003 03:50 PM

New owner question re DOF v filters or post

Hi all,
Knew it wouldn't take long before I'd be heading here confused about something...

I fully expect that this may only be due to my not having figured out how to do it right yet, but in messing around with the DVX, trying to emulate some amount of DOF (zooming out, opening it up, as I've read as suggestions) I don't see any noticeable difference no matter what I do. Does anybody have any favorite settings, tricks, or links you could pass on so I can understand the specifics with regard to pulling it off with this camera? I'm wondering if it wouldn't be better (?) or easier (?) to just stick a spot filter on for my interviews, or apply a similar effect later in post.

Any thoughts? Hints?

Much appreciated,
MG

Stephen van Vuuren June 24th, 2003 03:54 PM

Just make sure autoiris is turned off in the menu.

F16, full wide should be huge DOF
Open, full zoom should give you decent depth of field. You should certainly notice the difference between these two shots DOF.

Marcia Janine Galles June 24th, 2003 11:30 PM

Thanks for your post, Stephen. Much appreciated. Haven't pulled in what I shot today messing around with the settings you suggest (just got my FCP 4 and haven't finished prepping for the upgrade) but from what I could tell from the LCD in my backyard, at F2, zoomed in tight, with the ND up (it was bright out) you're absolutely dead on... the DOF looked fantastic. Will try again tomorrow at the other extreme (phone call cut it short). Am still wondering though about trying a spot filter for interviews though. Is there a reason why that's a bad idea?

Marcia

PS Is it "normal" for there to be a drastic color differential between the eyepiece and the LCD? Maybe it's my glasses, but the LCD is much easier to focus, and the colors seem richer. Is that a false reading on average?

Stephen van Vuuren June 25th, 2003 08:11 AM

For interviews in DV, you can use a spot filter, or just move your subjects away from the background and use a little more telephoto.

The LCD has it's own color controls in the menu, so yes, it does look different. I find it easier to focus with as well and tweaked the colors to get a more accurate look.

Tom Hardwick June 26th, 2003 04:49 AM

Although the DVX uses 1/3" chips, the camcorder is fitted with a very short focal length lens. So the minimum dof is going to be on closest focus, full telephoto (45mm) and maximum aperture (f2.4 - or is it f2.8 on this model? Panasonic decline to state it in their colourful 10 page brochure.

It'll also help to have the background as far from the subject as possible, that way it'll be as blurry as possible and make your subject stand out sharply.

The Sony VX2k/PD150 is much better at dof control as it has a 72mm focal length and an f2.4 maximum aperture.

tom.