Who all here had problems with the DVX100's heads? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old July 2nd, 2003, 07:19 PM   #16
Wrangler

Peter, the thing is I wasn't just getting droppouts...my footage was ALL messed up! Plus I was getting the flashing red X which means dirty heads?! Drop-outs would be a godsend for me compared to my problem. Hopefully runing the cleaner and switching to MQs will fix it. They are due to arrive tommorrow from UPS. I'll keep you guys posted.
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2003, 09:36 PM   #17
Major Player

These dropout problems are starting to scare me:(

I just spent some hard earned cash on a new DVX100 and now I'm having doubts! Do you think this could be a major problem ??
Nick Medrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2003, 09:38 PM   #18
Space Hipster

It's not a widespread one. Hundreds, probabably thousands of these are out there, several features and dozens of shorts and docs have already been shot with the cam without this issue showing up as "major problem".
Old July 3rd, 2003, 10:02 AM   #19
Inner Circle

its strange thou, as i have major probs with one of my MX500's having dropouts and distorted audio and video...
BUT after runnign tapes continually, it sems to have stopped teh problem..
I always thought it was the heads that neede lubing from teh tape... as after i ran the cleaner, it worked perfectly...
I gather these 2 cams are running the same DVMechanism considering teh size....

i still havent seen this pop up on the DVX thou..

hope it doesnt...
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2003, 12:06 PM   #20
Major Player

Nick--I woudln't worry too much about the dropouts. Just be sure to use MQ tapes only, def. not something you want to skimp on. I haven't seen anymore dropouts in my stuff, so maybe it's problem solved. A hunch is that part of this is related to the "break in" of the camera, and when using MQ tapes, whcih are "dry lubricants" maybe there is some issue with enough lubrication getting on the heads in the initial break in period. Honestly, I have no idea, just a guess. Anyway, you can find MQ tapes at www.edgewisemedia.com. They carry them for around $5.50 a tape, which is BY FAR the cheapest I have seen.

Peter
Peter Richardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2003, 12:08 PM   #21
Major Player

Glen--It sounds like the problem was the tapes to me, but that's just a guess. Heck, if I've been using the exact perscribed tape from Panasonic and still have intermittent problems, then maybe this cam is just really sensitive to tapes. ANyway, I think the MQ's may be the answer. How much did you pay for yours? I found them at www.edgewisemedia.com for about 5.50 per tape. Any better deal?

Peter
Old July 8th, 2003, 07:15 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Geezz, I'm buying a DVX100 today and I sure hope I don't have anyh of these problems!! If it's a lemon I'm taking it back!
www.riverlightstudios.com
DVX100/Final Cut Pro 4/Mac G5 Dual 1.8
Mark Monciardini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2003, 07:19 AM   #23
Wrangler

Make sure you shoot only with Panasonic MQ tapes right off the bat!
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2003, 09:40 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Glenn- I hope you are still receiving subscriptions to this topic. Did the MQ tapes solve your problem? I am having the same issues as you intitially reported...

Also- how long did you run the cleaning tape in the camera to clean it?

Thanks!
Ted
Ted Banucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2003, 05:23 AM   #25
Warden

You must follow the directions on the cleaning tapes exactly. Any deviation from the printed instructions could potentially damage your camera. Do Not clean for more than the recommended time or run the tape more than the directions say.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2003, 06:26 AM   #26
Inner Circle

bit of an update following jeffs revival of this, i have found that even using the standard consumer DVM60 tapes does NOT cause a problem IF you FF and RW the tapes...
now this works for me, so i use ye ol DS88 handycam to do this...

I have shot about 80hrs continuously with no dropouts since i started using this method on both the MX500 and DVX.

I have now got my hands on the MQ tapes as business has now started to really pick up.

Even though i am not getting drop outs anymore, i am still wary, and considering the clas of this cam, the extra investment is worthwhile
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2003, 07:53 AM   #27
Regular Crew

My AG-DVX100 has only 15 hours on the counter, and this week I had some problems (dirty heads). I use FUJI tapes. I will try JVC tapes today, it's impossible to find Panasonic MQ here in Europe.
Marc Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2003, 12:24 PM   #28
Major Player

hey guys--Well I have used ONLY MQ tapes in my cam and I STILL had problems with tape dropouts, but they seem to have subsided now. Bottom line, I'd say use MQ for reduced headwear, but don't think that simply switching to them will solve all your problems, as I obviously still had problems with them.

Peter
Old October 29th, 2003, 04:46 PM   #29
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Peter Richardson : hey guys--Well I have used ONLY MQ tapes in my cam and I STILL had problems with tape dropouts, but they seem to have subsided now.
Peter -->>>

Are these dropouts occuring on normal speed playback or high speed review/cuing? I find that some capture programs (like Scenalyzer) are tough on tape transport mechanisms. Apple's iMovie seems to be the gentlest.

Besides the Panasonic MQ tapes (which they obviously recommend since they manufacture both the camcorder and the tape), why should Sony tapes be bad for the DVX100? I've never had problems with Sony on the PD-150. I like sticking with one brand, and will do so when I get the dvx100 next week, unless someone has solid experience to the contrary.
Marc Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2003, 07:41 PM   #30
Regular Crew

Marc,

It doesn't have to do with the tape brand/quality. It has to do with the camera. I've always used TDK tapes just fine in my GL1, even switching tapes. But when I use them in the DVX100, the camera takes a crap all over the tape. Just because your Sony tapes work in your PD150, does not mean that they will work in the DVX100.

And this does not refer to playing back the tape (in reference to your commment about iMovie). It has to do with recording the tape. The camera leaves horizontal stripes all over the recording which is unsalvable.

Ted
Ted Banucci is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant