Align charts and the DVX100? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old July 1st, 2003, 11:48 PM   #1
Major Player

Align charts and the DVX100?

Hi all,
Looking over Scott Billups book and site (haven't finished the book yet) he's definitely in the pro calibration camp, with regard to charts before a shoot, and I've been wondering how critical this is with the DVX, being that it's not HD (which is routinely cited as needing exacting calibration). Thing is, the CamAlign front box series which is supposed to be the "economical alternative" is $340 for one chart. Yikes. I found it at Filmtools, and gulped big time. (http://store.yahoo.com/cinemasupplies/dsccamfronse.html)

So, my question(s) is (are) isn't this overkill for DV, as opposed to HD? OTOH, given that I can definitely see the value in focus charts, are there equally (or relatively equal) valuable alternatives for location alignment that won't break the bank? Still have lights and a mic set up to get. Man, this is adding up...

Many thanks in advance guys,
Marcia
Marcia Janine Galles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2003, 11:58 PM   #2
Space Hipster

Not critical. You can print up your own chart on a decent quality printer. Don't spend $340.

Plus, it's not like there are backfocus and other lens adjustments that apply to the DVX100. My XL1 14X manual lens had backfocus and I did print myself a chart to adjust, but you don't have to have a chart to do it.

Fine lines, diagonals, squares, circles in various colors and you are set.
Old July 2nd, 2003, 12:09 AM   #3
Major Player

Stephen,
Can you email me the chart you made up or point me to one I can download/copy? There are a lot of things about this cam I'm totally at home with (love it more with each passing day), but focus mis-steps I may not see till I'm back in the edit bay have me a bit spooked. (Saw too much messed up footage when I freelanced, I guess.)

Thanks,
Marcia
Marcia Janine Galles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2003, 08:41 AM   #4
Space Hipster

Evidently, I did not keep it. I just made something up in illustrator that mimicked the ones on PixelMonger.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant