DVX100A 16:9 switching at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old March 1st, 2008, 11:17 AM   #1
Inner Circle

DVX100A 16:9 switching

I've been asked to set up a friend's DVX100A (PAL) camera when I go see him next week, with a view to him filming from now on in the 16:9 mode.

I've just been through his entire instruction book and can find no mention of an in-built 16:9 switching, though they do point out there's a Panasonic 1.33x anamorphic that's available. He's not keen on that anamorphic idea.

I'm pretty sure there is a simply 'mask it down and be done with it' mode, but I do know my VX2k did go noticeably softer if I did this. What do you guys think?

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2008, 10:17 AM   #2
Major Player

The DVX100a is not a native 16x9 camera, so in the menu you would need to change it to the anamorphic 16x9. You can also do a 4x3 letterboxed. It's my understanding to get the best 16x9 you need to get a lense adapter which allows for no loss in resolution.
David Stoneburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2008, 01:25 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Without an anamorphic lens adapter, a 16x9 image from the DVX will be similarly soft, to what you've seen with your VX. Essentially, you are getting 360 lines of resolution (regardless of how it is recorded).
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2008, 02:34 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Ah, I've found it in the instruction book now. There's a simple 'letterbox' mode that blacks top and bottom of the screen, but there's also a 'squeeze' mode that distorts the v'finders, but is it technically better I wonder?
Old March 4th, 2008, 04:06 PM   #5
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hardwick View Post
Ah, I've found it in the instruction book now. There's a simple 'letterbox' mode that blacks top and bottom of the screen, but there's also a 'squeeze' mode that distorts the v'finders, but is it technically better I wonder?
It's not. The DVX Book (by Barry Green) discusses this in some length and compares resolution charts between the Normal, Letterbox and Squeeze mode (with and without the anamorphic adapter). With the adapter you get resolution very near 540 lines, the theoretical limit of DV (I'm paraphrasing from the book). Using Squeeze and playing back on a widescreen TV gives you at most about 360 lines.
Dave Vaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2008, 05:26 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Can I read Barry Green's words on line David?
Old March 4th, 2008, 10:40 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Essentially, the CCD sensors in a DVX100 (or PD170, as well as most camcorders in that class) physically have a width to height ratio of 4:3, with effective pixel elements laid out in 480 rows of 720 pixel elements*. Aside from bending light on the way to the sensors (via anamorphic lens), the only way to get a 16:9 image from those sensors is to crop 120 of the rows (to 360 rows of 720 pixels). Regardless of whether it is then recorded in "letterbox" mode or in "squeeze" mode, the 16:9 source for the recorded image still comes from those same 360 rows of 720 pixel elements.

*That's slightly simplifying things for practical purposes of this discussion.
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant