DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/)
-   -   High Speed shots (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/11976-high-speed-shots.html)

Peter Jefferson July 13th, 2003 02:17 AM

High Speed shots

okies, ill be filming a Bottle being smashed to picess.. basically being thrown onto concrete...

now as we only have one bottle to smash, i was wondering what would be a good shuter speed and recording mode to use???

Its a daytime shoot, and i was thinking of goin a high speed shutter speed such as 250 or so... not too sure im gonna do some practice shots with some ol beer bottles i have laying around, but in the end, i want to run this footage in slowmo...

also i wont have the cameras anywhere near the bottle (im paranoid about shrapnel) so ill be using the zoom at full...

any thoughts on how to achive a good clear shot on this? I thought id ask before i start making noise.. LOL

also, i was wondering what frame mode would work better?? I was thnking of using progressive, but i dont thing the frame rate will give me the detail i need.. and the fact im runnign it in slow mo im thinking that 50fields would work a little better in this regard... any thoguhts on this?

thanx in advance

Rob Lohman July 14th, 2003 04:29 AM

Why not do some test runs? I mean you can find glass bottles
everywhere. If that bottle is so special this becomes even more
important.

The best thing would be if you could shoot at a higher framerate,
which you can't. I would suggest using a high shutter speed so
you can see each glass fragment clearly without getting motion
blur etc. Together with keeping it interlaced this should help in
getting a better slow motion.

Again, testing and trying it out is everything. The camera position
and angle will be crucial on this as well!

Matt Milan July 14th, 2003 04:53 AM

I agree with what Rob said.

Make sure you shoot in 30fps and not 24fps. And boost the shutter speed as much as the light will allow you to so that everything reamins sharp in each frame.

There's really no way to get great results as there is no substitue for true high-speed photography. But if you have money to burn and or a good deal of time on your hands then you can obtain a copy of RealViz ReTimer and artifically tween the motion. A shattering bottle would be damn hard to get good results with, but with enough effort I suppose anything is possible.

I wish we were able to crank up the framerate on this camera too.. =)

Jeff Kilgroe July 14th, 2003 06:46 AM

I'm not convinced that shooting this in interlaced mode would be the best thing as others have suggested. Probably best to shoot in 30p with the fast shutter speed.

Anyway, as has already been suggested, get a bunch of test bottles and try it several ways. Then once you think you have what you're after, do a few rehearsal shots before breaking "the one" bottle you have. ...If there's only one of these bottles, is it wise to smash it? ;-)

Peter Jefferson July 14th, 2003 09:16 AM

well its for a shoot interstate and theyre supplying the bottle... LOL

thanks for the suggestions guys, i think i will go afew beers and see where it takes me.. *hic*

Alturo Nguyen July 14th, 2003 02:51 PM

i heard to shoot in 60 for highspeed, then reverse it to 24p to matchup with the rest of footage, and have the slow mo you need.. then again no one's posted anything

David Nussbaum July 14th, 2003 02:57 PM

we had an exact shot aswell, and all i did was 24P mode, default everything else (Well except white balance) and it looked amazing.

Jarred Land July 21st, 2003 10:46 AM

if you use vegas the velocity envelope may be able to fill the voids pretty good, but usually there is some motion blur if you get it to interpolate the missing keyframes.

Peter Jefferson July 21st, 2003 10:48 AM

see thats what i was tryin to avoid...

it wont be all that slow, but slow enough as it will be blending in with the 3d shatter plugin... ill be making the screen shatter with at the same time as the bottle hits the ground...

hmm.. gonna do some tests this weekend if the weather is fine... :)