Alignment. My camera needs Alighnent. What is that? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old May 12th, 2008, 11:23 AM   #1
Major Player

Alignment. My camera needs Alighnent. What is that?

A partner of mine sent his camera to a shop to fix a problem with the firewire port.
They recorded some footage and said that it needs some alignment which would be $150.00. Alignment? Dont cars need alignment? Next thing they'll be telling him his camera needs its carburetor lubed. -just kidding, but I am always weary of anyone telling me something needs fixed that i dont know about - like with cars, Casue i have no idea if its really important or not or you could just make anything up and ill have to go on your word.

>So, is this a legitimate thing? I asume yes, but id like to know what alignment is.
Old May 12th, 2008, 12:24 PM   #2
Inner Circle

the heads can and do go out of alignment which can cause all sorts of dropout problems. However it is not something that needs to be done on a regualr basis unless ther's something else going on inside. I've had the heads on both my 150 and 170 aligned-the 150 when the heads were replaced after about 1000 hours of tape thru them and the 170 when I had the chip replaced under the recall. I had to pay for the alignment as well as paying for the 150 to be R&Rd.
Again not something that usually needs to be done to soon but then it can and does happen.

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2008, 03:41 PM   #3
Major Player

Cool, Thanks. This particular DVX100 has a LOT of hours on it so i guess ill do it.
Old May 12th, 2008, 10:00 PM   #4
Major Player

He might be referring to a "software alignment" to bring the camera back up to spec. This can help anything from slight back focus issues to exposure variations. I was surprised at how extensively software controls many camera functions. The problem may not be completely mechanical in origin.
Hope this helps.
Ken
Ken Plotin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant