Letterbox while shooting? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old May 19th, 2008, 01:50 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Letterbox while shooting?

I just shot a wedding with my panasonic dvx100 and i shot it with letterboxing. I read a forum where someone was talking about letterboxing during editing once you are completed all your editing. Does anyone know if he was right? And is letterboxing different from anamorphic 16:9? thanks, mark
Mark Tarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2008, 05:22 AM   #2
Better than Halle Berry

Letterboxing=4:3 with black lines superimposed on the top and bottom to simulate a widescreen aspect ratio. Squeeze= 16:9 aspect ratio electronically simulated- which is preferable if you actually want something to play on a 16:9 display.

In general I strongly advise against 4:3 letterbox because it ties your hands in post. If you shoot standard 4:3 you can easily letterbox in post production with a widescreen matte, and you have extra room at the top and bottom of every shot to re-frame if you'd like. Not to mention you can go 4:3 unmatted if desired. Though it's becoming less and less of an issue, some folks still prefer full frame 4:3. Here's a link that might give you a better idea of the differences:

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articl...ic185demo.html

-Noah
Noah Kadner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2008, 01:56 PM   #3
Trustee

I specifically shoot 4x3 in camera and letterbox in post so that I can reframe while editing. If you watch any of the David Fincher BTS (se7en, panic room), they cover this. (Panic room, btw is one of the best box sets for BTS ever put out on DVD :) )

The se7en color grading video is out there somewhere, but I can't for the life of me find it now :( They deal with the reframing in that one.
Old July 15th, 2008, 02:13 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole McDonald View Post
The se7en color grading video is out there somewhere, but I can't for the life of me find it now :( They deal with the reframing in that one.
I learned a TON about grading from that BTS. I'll have too look for the Panic Room one now. :)
Perrone Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2008, 01:44 AM   #5
Trustee

The panic room BTS in in a 3 dvd set. 2-1/2 DVDs dedicated to BTS and segmented from pre-prod to prod to post.
Old February 5th, 2009, 09:56 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I Bought the Panasonic 16:9 lense adapter

... Would you say then that this is a wasted purchase? Personally I'm beginning to think so as I'm more into the 2.39:1.

And what is the proper proceedure for Letter boxing with the adapter? Leaving the camera on standard 4:3 and attaching it or should I switch to squeeze 16:9 and attach it?
Ryan Kincaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2009, 08:21 AM   #7
Trustee

I've shot with the anamorphic adaptor and love it. If you like shooting for 2.35:1, you can still letterbox you anamorphic.

You run the camera in 4:3, attach the adaptor which optically compresses the horizontal aspect of the 16:9 image into the 4:3 space.

Once you pull it into your editor, you check the anamorphic box and it should unsqueeze the footage into a real 16:9 frame.

You can now throw a 2.35:1 letterbox matte over the top and still be able to reframe. If you prefer even more geeky goodness:

shoot 16:9 in camera, put the adaptor on... check the anamorphic box in the editor, export the footage...pull it back in and check the anamorphic box again... you'll have 2.35:1 frame with all of the picture that you shot - framing in camera will be a pain in the butt as it'll be doubly squeezed, but hey, it's still geeky cool.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant