DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/)
-   -   Dvx100 or Dvc-200... what say you? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/12383-dvx100-dvc-200-what-say-you.html)

Matt Gettemeier July 23rd, 2003 02:20 PM

Dvx100 or Dvc-200... what say you?

Just curious on your thoughts on this issue... I can get a dvc-200 for about the same cost as the dvx. I've wanted the dvx for a while now, but I'm just wondering what you guys think?

In a nutshell the benefits of each are:

Dvx: 24p, 30p, Cine-gamma, fairly light shooting.

Dvc: 3 x 1/2" ccds and sub 1 lux shooting...

The only downside I can see to the DVC is that it's BIG and shoulder mounted. I'm also wondering if I run the revision de-interlacer program on the dvc's 60i footage if it will just look like a progressive scan anyway?

For equal cash what would YOU do? I'm posting this here because I'd rather get the dvx, but it's still a serious amount of cash so I'm wondering which cam is truly the best... I'm guessing I already know how this thread will play out but I want to hear it from YOU.

Stephen van Vuuren July 23rd, 2003 03:41 PM

Re: Dvx100 or Dvc-200... what say you?

<<< I'm also wondering if I run the revision de-interlacer program on the dvc's 60i footage if it will just look like a progressive scan anyway?>>>

Nope. I've has the revision program since it was released. It does the best progressive look short of Magic Bullet, but it's nothing like real progressive scan.

Magic Bullet would be better but that's an extra $1000 plus hours upon hours of rendering.

Barry Green July 23rd, 2003 07:08 PM

Re: Dvx100 or Dvc-200... what say you?

<<<-- For equal cash what would YOU do? -->>>

Well, the answer, almost as always, is "what do you want to do with the camera?"

Sports/legal video/ENG/news/corporate films, DVC200 hands down.

Indie video/film production, TV commercials, music videos, and occasional home camera use: DVX100, hands down

Weddings? hmm, could go either way, the DVC200 is far more "impressive"-looking, but the filmishness of the DVX100 may make for a better-looking final product.

So, how do you anticipate using the camera?

Matt Gettemeier July 23rd, 2003 09:37 PM

Barry, I basically boiled it down the same way you did... so I'll get the dvx100.

But also for the reasons you mentioned... the dvc is pretty enticing. I kinda' feel like I'm choosing a slightly "lesser" cam for the same money.

When it comes down to it, I don't think I'm ready for a shoulder mount and all the burden of that much weight. For that reason I expect to get better results and more satisfaction from the dvx...

I just wanted to hear it from you guys though... (the only problem is I'll use EITHER cam for almost all of the above suggestions that Barry made)...

I said it before and I can tell you that you've been instrumental in me choosing to get the dvx now.

Thanks.

Yang Wen July 24th, 2003 05:14 AM

the DVC will give you a cleaner and sharper image in most cases. But if you want that 24P look your competitors can't offer, then the DVX100 is the way to go. Don't forget you're gonna need to get an expensive battery system for the DVC also. Not to mention heftier tripod.. So the price difference really isn't just difference in the cost of the cameras.