Calling camDVC80, Where are you? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old July 27th, 2003, 06:10 PM   #1
Major Player

Calling camDVC80, Where are you?

Is anyone at all out there shooting with the DVC80? Reguarly? Devoutly? Grudgingly? I have heard so little feedback on this cam, partly because it's a relatively recent release, to be sure, and maybe partly because it's seen as a lesser cam than the you-know-which, not having 24fps and what not? From what I have been able to gather, it sounds like THE rival to the pd150. It sounds like a stellar under-$3k cam. And it's sexy too! Much sexier than the you-know-which.
:))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Shawn Mielke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2003, 12:58 PM   #2
Major Player

The DVX100 is also a stellar under-$3K cam. But really... if you really want that all black look, then spray paint the DVX100.
Yang Wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2003, 02:33 PM   #3
Major Player

Can it be done?

Can you spray paint the DVX100?

If so, why not gold.

Then when people say it is not metal.

You can say yes it is, it’s Gold.
Ron Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2003, 07:29 PM   #4
Major Player

Yang and Ron,
You may both be on to something ..... designer camcorder bodies. But why stop at spray painting the bodies. I can see it now. The South Seas model would be in Mother-of-Pearl. The Ecology/Earth Friendly model in Birch Bark. The Detroit model in plastic simulated chrome. The Texas model in, what else but rawhide! The possibilities are endless! Someone is going to make a lot of money on this idea and to think it all started here.

Wow. Nick 8)
Nick Kerpchar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2003, 09:37 AM   #5
Major Player

The DVX 100 was featured on Tec TV and now is being used to shoot the on the street reports with Bret Larson.

They gave it a glowing report and Bret is now using it to shoot all the on the street segments.

This cam is hot!

I think Bret would paint his pink.
Ron Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2003, 09:55 AM   #6
Major Player

What is the On the Street Segment?? and are they shooting it in 24P?? what time is the On the Street Segments on?
Old August 6th, 2003, 11:57 AM   #7
Space Hipster

Check with Zotz Digital. Site sponsor, very reputable and low prices, including specials for DV Info members. I got my DVX100 there.
Old August 6th, 2003, 12:58 PM   #8
High School Student

It seems like a deal to me. It goes for about $1000 less then the DVX100, and the only thing it seems to not have is the all mighty-hyped up 24P.

For $2300 (at B&H) I'd take it before a GL2, VX2000, or even a PD150 anyday....

Now someone loan me 2 grand and change. 8)
Alex Knappenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2003, 05:23 PM   #9
Major Player

Hey, whattya know, responses to my post actually include commentary that actually almost directly pertains to the original question. It only took a week for the riffing to settle down :-))). Guess the wiley dvfreak sense of humor must have its' room to graze too, all workk and no play and wot not. Well, yes, I was asking for it. (Sexy camcorders, sheesh, whatever ;0;];0;} )

Old August 6th, 2003, 06:09 PM   #10
Major Player

Really? You really would choose unhesitatingly the dvc80 over the pd150? The Dvc80's audio is better, yes? It's lense is better, yes? It's ergonomics are more balanced, yes? What else might make it the victor, all objectivity aside. Larger LCD?
The pd150 has dvcam which might help insure...gainful employment? It has one of the great track records of all dvtime, regarding durability. It's far more expandable, accessory-wise, yes? Help me tighten up thoughts on this. I seem to have an equal amount of admiration for both of these cameras. It might be six months before purchasing either. I just got a pdx10, so the easy answer would be the pd150, as a match. But that is beside the point of this discussion. Anyone found the 80 to be an ENG/indie prosumer revelation? Or do you just like it a whole bunch? Thanks in advance!

Old August 6th, 2003, 08:01 PM   #11
Major Player

Well those points you named are basically what makes a DVC80 a better choice over the PD150. Sure there are probably cheaper accessories for PD150, but i'd say you should really make your decision on what kind of camera you're getting rather than the accessories. And PD150's DVCAM is not immune to drop-outs and flaws, the old PD150 I had used(fairly new back then) had to be sent back to Sony twice to get the head fixed because of crazy drop outs.
Old August 7th, 2003, 12:20 AM   #12
Trustee

I've seen a few shows here on Japanese TV where cameraguys are using DVC80s in combination with larger Panasonic broadcast cameras. TVS a large station here in eastern Japan seems to use panasonic gear quite a bit.
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2003, 02:12 AM   #13
Major Player

The dvc80 seems to be the very same as the dvx100, physically. And I've not heard any serious compaints about that camera's construction. By the time I'm ready to buy, the dvx(dvc80) will have had almost a year of experience in the field. How will they have held up? Perhaps this sounds like hairsplittting, but I find the pd150's life span in this crazy tech market not to be dismissed. Shouldn't the 80 cost $3400 and the 150 $2400 instead of the otherway around? Isn't that telling? Or have I over simplified.....Thanks all for batting this around with me a bit.
Shawn

Shawn Mielke is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant