DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/)
-   -   Audio Dub (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/12740-audio-dub.html)

Peter Richardson August 1st, 2003 06:09 PM

Audio Dub

Hey everyone--I'm trying to record audio from a cassette tape player into my DVX100 through the RCA jacks but am not having any luck. I'd like to record in 16bit on Channel 1 and 2 but couldn't find anything in the manual on how to do this. I see the audio dub button, tried pushing it in tandem with the Rec buttons adjacent to it but no luck. What am I doing wrong? Thanks!

Peter

Scott Chapin August 3rd, 2003 06:37 PM

Check out function 50 on page 15 of the manual. Is your original recording 12 bit? I believe it has to be.

Glenn Chan August 3rd, 2003 08:50 PM

I think audio dub is for inserting extra audio (like narration) onto channels 3 and 4. 12bit= 4 channels of audio at 32khz sampling, 16bit= 2 channels of 48khz audio. If you're in 16bit you don't get the two extra channels and you get better quality (higher sampling rate).

I don't know how your camera works so you should probably check your manual (some online stores have them for download; bhphotovideo.com or henrys.com might work).

Stephen van Vuuren August 3rd, 2003 08:58 PM

Peter:

On you trying to dub audio under an existing video track? Or record only audio on a blank tape?

Peter Richardson August 4th, 2003 02:21 PM

Hi guys--I'm just trying to record only audio onto a blank tape, preferably 16bit on channels one and two. Thanks,

Peter

Stephen van Vuuren August 4th, 2003 02:51 PM

Peter:

Don't audio dub, just record normally with lens cap on, cassette running into appropriate connectors (one where mic is currently in). Set to line level.

Peter Richardson August 6th, 2003 11:47 AM

Thanks Stephen--Does that mean record into the XLR's? Is there any way I can record into the RCA Jacks instead? Thanks,

Peter

Stephen van Vuuren August 6th, 2003 11:54 AM

I think the RCA's are for 12-bit audio dubbing only but I'm not sure.

Peter Richardson August 6th, 2003 12:24 PM

Thanks Stephen. So can I buy RCA to XLR converter cables, is there such a thing? And if I wanted to do the 12 bit audio dub, would I do that in VCR mode and use the audio dub button? Thanks again!

Peter

Stephen van Vuuren August 6th, 2003 12:49 PM

Yeah, you can get convertors. Per the rest, you have to check the manual, but I think thats the way it works.

Barry Green August 6th, 2003 08:11 PM

Surely you just have to put the camera in VCR mode and hit record... the camera will record audio through the XLR jacks when in camera mode, but it should record through the RCA jacks when in VCR mode...

Peter Richardson August 6th, 2003 08:27 PM

That's what I would think too, Barry, but for some reason mine doesn't seem to be working that way. I will try to XLR method. Thanks guys,

Peter