Good Scene File and Zebra Stripe Settings for AG-DVX100 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old August 19th, 2008, 04:43 PM   #1
Major Player

Good Scene File and Zebra Stripe Settings for AG-DVX100

Hi

I will soon be directing a medium length sci-fi/thriller movie on a Panasonic AG-DVX100 camera (not the A or B version). The production will be for DVD and internet distribution, not film out. Does anyone know if the scene file and zebra stripe settings I am using (see below) are appropriate?

More specifically, are these settings safe in terms of avoiding the clipping on highlights while still getting a nice film-like image?

Or perhaps there are safer settings I could use and then apply a filmic look in post?

Is it better to apply the filmic look in post, as I imagine Premiere or After Effects will do a better job than the on-board DVX100 processor?

I decided upon these settings after considerable internet trawling but don't feel that confident about how good they are. As this film will be quite an undertaking I want to get the best settings possible.

My current settings are:-

detail level = 0
chroma level = 0
chroma phase = 0
colour temp = 0
master ped = -5
A. iris = -1
gamma = cine-like
skin DTL = OFF
matrix = cine-like
v detail freq = thick
progressive = 25P

Zebra stripes set to 90%, I will not be using the auto iris.

- I had problems with blown highlights on peoples foreheads while the zebra stripes were set to 95%. I will test the 90% setting soon.

- Apparently a thick v detail frequency can prevent strobing effects when viewed on interlaced displays.

- The cine-like gamma will record brightness in a more linear fashion like film? I guess this look is too difficult to apply in post as the footage is already recorded with a different profile and some information may be irrecoverable?

- A cine-like matrix seems to give more saturated colours from test cards I've seen on the internet, but is it also likely to give problems with clipping etc? Perhaps it's better to increase saturation in post too, to be on the safe side?

Phew, sorry for the enormous quantity of questions.

Thanks!
Stuart Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2008, 09:13 AM   #2
Major Player

I've just upgraded to an XH A1 so the info I was after isn't as relevant now. But perhaps someone else might be interested still.
Stuart Graham is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant