DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/)
-   -   Metal Body of DVX100 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/13478-metal-body-dvx100.html)

Matthew DeJesus August 19th, 2003 12:40 PM

Metal Body of DVX100

DVX100 Owners:
I am a confessed Sony Only user but that might be changing this week as I need to purchase a new 3chip. Living in VA, I don't have access to any stores that stock the DVX unless I drive several hours. One thing I love about the Sony's are their metal body.

I know that the DVX also has a metal shell, BUT, I have only seen the shell of this camera (from Adam Wiltz' site). On the close up shots I have seen, it looks as if the outershell is plastic, therefore the protection and "good looks" of the magnesium is underneath. Is this accurate, or have I just not seen good enough close-ups of this model?

Matt Gettemeier August 25th, 2003 10:51 AM

The dvx barrel, body, zoom ring are all magnesium alloy. All that is then coated with a plastic-polymer powdercoat. If you want confirmation of the inner magnesium construction take a dremel tool with the smallest ball bit and sign your name on the side.

Just kidding. Yeah, I don't know why they made such a cool camera appear to be plastic. If it had been me I would have made it a super-deep cobalt blue frost or even a beige-gray frost. The magnesium would have taken the anodizing perfectly and the black bits would have really set it off.

Since this thing performs so artistically Panny should have put more thought into the finish.

If Ferraris only came in "Gray Primer" I'd still want one, but I'd wonder, "Why not Candy Apple Red?"

Matthew DeJesus August 25th, 2003 05:59 PM

Thanks Matt! So why have many DVX users complained about the cheap "plasticy" feel of the camera?

Matt Gettemeier August 25th, 2003 11:52 PM

Surprisingly there are a lot of people that pick this camera up and still think it's plastic.

On a loosely related note. I've got a magnesium circular saw and everybody used to think it was plastic too.

The fact that the dvx is so light for it's size is misleading... I love this cam so much more then anything else I've had in the past and I'm even more satisfied after seeing just how well made it really is.

Matthew DeJesus August 26th, 2003 01:18 AM

I don't see how those people can mistaken metal for plastic. The Sonys (VX2000, PD150) are unmistakenably metal on the outside. I really wish I could see a DVX in person. Regardless, I think you have pushed me over the edge. I just might be calling my vendor tomorrow.

Thanks again Matt! I really am a freak for Sony made stuff (I'm always impressed by their build) so it took quite a bit of extra research this time around being that what I was considering was not a Sony at all. (Sorry Sony-but you're taking too darn long!!)

Matt Gettemeier August 27th, 2003 12:03 PM

Matthew... I guess this is turning into a chat session, but I have to comment on your Sony summary.

I FULLY agree... normally I like to see Sony making the "best product" because I expect that they make the best BUILT products... but I gotta' tell you, I think that's changing. Sony is bogged down in a ton of politics... they have divisions that are introducing products that compete with products in other areas of their own lines.

Sony can't introduce a dvx beater until they do something about the dsr250... there are ALREADY people who feel they need to decide between a pd150 and a dsr250 'cause the performance is too close. If Sony brings out a cam that clearly beats the dvx... it will also beat the dsr250, which sells for $5k... see the conundrum?

Panny avoided all this by making the dvc200 which has 1/2" chips and ALSO sells for $5k... so why anybody would choose a Sony dsr250 is beyond me... basically Panny trumped 'em at both levels.

Now if Sony improves BOTH levels to beat Panny at BOTH points then they'll lose sales at their NEXT level... the dsr390 ($9K)... I could take this arguement to infinity 'cause Sony has SO many pro models... unlike Panny who has fewer models positioned at strategic levels of price... gotta' love the Panny approach don't ya'? Basically Panny cams make significant quality jumps from model to model (up the range) whereas Sony cams follow a smoother progression that makes it harder to choose an exact cam over another cheaper cam. Then if they make that cheaper level too good NOBODY buys at that previous higher level. Fotunately for us EVENTUALLY they'll have to address things they've been ignoring, such as camera audio, thanks largely in part to the dvx.

At this stage I sincerely believe Panny is doing more for advancements in "affordable film-making" then Sony is. That's why Panny got my vote... and the information you just read is why I'd stop waiting for Sony to blow away the dvx with something new... they can't make the pd150 that much better without creating a ripple-effect across their tightly positioned line.

Matthew DeJesus August 27th, 2003 01:14 PM

I'm with you Matt. I'm not waiting for Sony. The DVX will be my cam of choice. Actually, it came down to the DVC80 or the DVX, but I hear they have the same bod and I think the extra $700 for Progressive might be worth it down the road.

Thanks dude. I still wish I could hold one before I placed the order but I guess I'm just going to have to order in faith!