Large color "macroblocks" in footage...anyone else still experiencing this? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old August 22nd, 2003, 05:51 PM   #1
New Boot

Large color "macroblocks" in footage...anyone else still experiencing this?

I know there is a thread having to do with this, but it seems like no one has posted anything more about this topic since march...

I just recently bought the DVX100 and discovered large "color blocks", also known as "macroblocks" throughout the footage when any minor adjustments in color were attempted. I also noticed that when desaturating the image completely they also became noticable in certain areas. I have since returned the camera to panasonic for either repair or replacement. I have been studying stills from other users footage that are displayed in these forums and have noticed the same marcoblocking, but I guess the camera owner never noticed this. I also compared stills from my XL1s to the DVX100 stills and when I apply the same filters, I see none of the color blocks that seem to be inherent in the DVX100.

Anyone have any insight into this, or have any comments or suggestions as to how or why this occurs? Has anyone else noticed this with their footage?

I do admit the 24p and cinegamma features create a beautiful image and without applying any color correction filters, the footage surpasses any other DV camcorders I have seen.
Jesse Melchior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2003, 06:39 PM   #2
Space Hipster

Can you post some samples? This issue has come before around different codecs and display settings.
Old August 22nd, 2003, 10:10 PM   #3
New Boot

I could if I knew how...I don't have a web page to post on and you can't post any pics on here. If you have any suggestions I would appreciate it.
Old August 22nd, 2003, 10:36 PM   #4
Space Hipster

I can host pictures and Chris Hurd who runs this site will post for you as well.
Old August 23rd, 2003, 01:16 AM   #5
New Boot

Just in case this makes a difference, I am using the following setup:

Powermac G4 dual 1GHZ 1.5GB ram
Final cut pro 4
Old August 23rd, 2003, 01:50 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Never had this problem...
www.riverlightstudios.com
DVX100/Final Cut Pro 4/Mac G5 Dual 1.8
Mark Monciardini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2003, 01:05 PM   #7
Barry Wan Kenobi

I've seen two threads dealing with this issue, and I believe that both times it was determined that the camera was defective. So, it depends on what your particular circumstances are, but if you're seeing something that looks noticeably bad, the chances are that your camera might need a repair.
Barry Green is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant