What cheap capture devices are YOU using? - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old February 3rd, 2006, 10:39 AM   #46
Inner Circle

Not a signal to noise ratio issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Beswick
Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but the idea of capturing the footage from the dvx with a cheaper camera seems very risky. I always was told that a system is only as good as its weakest link. I can't help but think the quality of the heads on the dvx are far superior to the heads on a $400.00 camera. Wouldn't the signal to noise ratio be worse, and wouldn't you have the higher possibility of drop outs from different head alignment? It seems to me that the heads you recorded on would be the best heads to capture on also. I know that of course head wear will be an issue, but really, if I'm busy enough to wear out the heads in the course of 3 or 4 years, I'd think buying a new camera would certainly be in the budget. Are there any other reasons for this? I have an old original Canon Optura, which still works remarkably well, and i'd be able to capture on it, but I can't help but think i'd be losing something in the translation. Any thoughts?

Its not a signal to noise ratio issue. It is a question whether the cheap camera can read and transfer the ones and zeros on the tape to the computer for editing, and most DV camera are pretty standard in that respect.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant