dvx still a viable camera at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old February 4th, 2009, 12:17 PM   #1
Regular Crew

dvx still a viable camera

Hi there,

Just thought I would throw this one out. I have been out of the loop for a while and have been catching up on the new cameras on the block. My situation was that I bought a used dvx (not the a or b the older one) a couple of years ago but never got round to actually shooting too much with it. I was just wondering to myself is this camera still a runner in terms of broadcast tv or is it past its sell by date.

I recently have been in a position to devote more time to shooting and I am hoping to make a doc in the summer that will require run and gun shots for the majority. This was the main reason I went for the panny as I think its handy enough to use. Then I thought to myself you know I should invest in an ex1 but then I learnt that fragments in Iraq was shot on dvx and then there was a film on last night Black Gold and that was shot on a sony pdx10 or something. I know these films have been put through the wash of machines and uprezzed but still it makes me wonder whether a move up is worthwhile. For content is king and if you make something good enough it will be taken on uprezzed and the rest of it and if not then whats the point of having a little bit nicer looking but playing in your bedroom with no one else looking at it.

Discuss!

I should probably say that I am not a professional shooter and do not rely on an income from shooting video. I am just one of those who dream about making an award winning doc!
Barry Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2009, 03:07 PM   #2
Better than Halle Berry

The DVX100 was/is a great camera but it's definitely not state of the art anymore. The most limiting factor is its standard definition. Sure you can upconvert and all that but if you're planning something for broadcast starting with an SD master is going to be a major handicap.

If I were planning to start out today at a similar price point I'd go with an AG-HMC150. Similar ergonomics to the DVX100 but full HD and with very inexpensive media and a solid state of the art AVCHD codec.

-Noah
Noah Kadner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant