Tape Question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old September 11th, 2003, 01:25 PM   #1
Major Player

tape question

Barry,
I've been reading about the amazing amounts of production work being done with the DVX100(such as a new series on TechTV) ...so much so that it has pushed me over the edge to be extremely excited about that concept. Living near Maimi, it would appear that there is quite a bit of work in the 24 and 30p format being shot here. Further, we have a TV spot coming up that I can't wait to shoot in 30p. SO! I'm ordering the DVX100 for all of the reasons that we've discussed and because it seems to be a truely professional camera. My only concern is tape manufacturers. I have exclusevly used Sony on my DV500 and XL-1 and Betacam with never a problem. My edit deck is a use Sony tape on the DVX100? Reason I ask, is I would hate to introduce a different formula to the DSR40 for playback.Although, I don't know if running different tapes through that deck in playback only would hurt it. Thoughts? PS...We're actually giving the LadyX concept some serious thought...perhaps a cameo in Palm Beach. tnx, Craig
Craig Hollenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2003, 03:06 PM   #2
Trustee

I switched to panasonic MQ tapes with the addition of the Panasonic camera, the temporary demise of my gl2 (and a new ag-dvx2500 deck to boot)..I don't know if they are any better...although I'm not having as many dropouts as with the sony's..(but that could have been the gl2)...The panasonic tape "case" is nicer...rubberized with a neat pop open top...I don't know if this is a reason to switch. Panasonic recommends running a cleaning tape whenever changing tape brands...I'd probably stick with that advice.

Barry
Barry Goyette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2003, 11:27 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Tape

Stick with the panasonic AY-DVM63MQ.
Old September 19th, 2003, 01:01 AM   #4
New Boot

if i only have 24hours of time on mt cam but want to swich tapes should i use the cleaning tape first? or not worry about it....

under (other functions)
my (hour meter) reads ooo26....
what do you think?

ps anything wrong with the panasonic ME dvm60 tapes?
if so what?
Desi Tury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2003, 08:16 AM   #5
Outer Circle

Quote:
ps anything wrong with the panasonic ME dvm60 tapes
I used this tape in my first MX3, and my sister in law, who now owns the cam, has continued using this type/brand. So far no problems; and I'm still using Fuji (with no problems).
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2003, 11:53 AM   #6
New Boot

I have DVX100 should i use the cleaning tape if i'm going from sony to panasonic?
Even if i only have about 11 hours rec time and 10 hours playing time on the cam?
Becouse they say, it is not good to use the cleaning tape unless you have have to ?

thank you........
Old September 19th, 2003, 03:02 PM   #7
Outer Circle

Here is some reading:

http://www.dvfreak.com/tape.htm
Old September 19th, 2003, 03:18 PM   #8
New Boot

Frank ....

Would you, or would you not use the cleaning tape with this new of a cam?..
Or dose the rule (if it's not broke, don't fix it) apply here?

thank you......
Old September 19th, 2003, 03:53 PM   #9
Outer Circle

I would not clean the heads unless they needed cleaning, or needed cleaning because I'm switching tape brands/types---which I don't---so I've never needed to clean my heads while using Fuji. Years ago, when I wasn't using Fuji, head cleaning went hand in hand with shooting and playing back the footage. (I don't have this probelm now---thanks, Fuji!) :-)
Old September 20th, 2003, 05:50 PM   #10
DVX User

that link is nice... one of the reasons I use Fuji in my DVX... but careful following the links below that page.. some of the information on those linked pages is totally false.
Jarred Land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2003, 07:21 PM   #11
Outer Circle

I agree. But I tried to find as many tape related links as I could, and put them in there. About 5 years ago I found a fantastic link but it seemed to have disappeared a few years back. It was an extensive test on tapes, done by a guy for his masters or PHD or something like that. From what I recall, Fuji came out on top, with Pana right behind, but I can't recall which Pana tape that was. Sony didn't fair well at all in that test, though I'm sure its improved over the years. Who knows!
Old September 20th, 2003, 07:29 PM   #12
DVX User

yeah it was pretty solid info mostly, just the one page that thought all the tapes where dry lube was a little commical. I guess it is a little confusing.
Jarred Land is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant