Help Need Urgent Advise On Dvx Settings at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old September 14th, 2003, 01:17 PM   #1
New Boot

Help Need Urgent Advise On Dvx Settings

On the 16th sept, i am about to start shooting a full feature,
shooting it with dvx100 in 24p mode (NOT ADVANCE MODE)

I need precise advise for the settings for day and night.
thank you.....
Desi Tury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2003, 03:44 PM   #2
Space Hipster

I saw your settings via email but the first question is about 24p vs 24pa.

You should give that some serious thought.

Second, per settings, the only real way to evaluate them is do as much critical testing in the lighting conditions and sets you plan on using.

Evalulate different settings on high quality calibrated, monitor, capture, test editing and output (DVD, Film, tape etc.).

Even if it means delaying start of shooting, testing will time well spent.
Old September 14th, 2003, 09:23 PM   #3
New Boot

thank you Stephen.
but wish me luck, becouse it's full speed ahead.

NO TIME FOR LOVE DOC JONES.......
Old September 15th, 2003, 12:49 PM   #4
Major Player

Settings adjustments

I just have to follow up what's been said...

If you're shooting a full feature you should consider using 24PA...only reason I see not to is if you're completely certain that it is going to stay on television forever and ever, and never got o DVD or film. IMO it's safer to shoot 24PA since you can just easily obtain the original 24 frames and make a 24fps quicktime and go from there to whatever you want. If you don't plan to extract the original frames. then 24P is the way to go.

About the scene settings, in my case the place to start is to first adjust the white balance once everything is set and lit. After that, the first thing I touch is the color temperature and from there all the other settings to give it the look you want. It literally varies from scene to scene dramatically, but the results are amazing.

Hope this helps,
Juan
Juan P. Pertierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2003, 05:33 PM   #5
New Boot

I was under the impression that shooting it in 24p normal it can still be put on dvd?
i am just trying to get this to Hollywood video or blockbuster.
not to film.
i have film maker but do not know who to use it but am under the impression if i just want to go to video it should be no prob ?

WHY CANT I PUT IT ON DVD?
I HAVE PINNACLE PRO / ADOBE 6.5
PIONEER DESK STAR AO6
WHAT IS THE PROB?
Old September 15th, 2003, 07:06 PM   #6
Major Player

Yes, you can still put it on DVD, as a 60i file. But if you record in 24PA, you can create a true 24P quicktime and make a 24p DVD. One of the advantages of doing this is that you can fit more on the DVD because you have 6 less frames per second. This is how movies that originated on film are encoded, so this is how i'd do it if I where doing 24P.

I guess it's a matter of taste, or maybe someone else can expand on this better. If you're sure you're going to stay on television, then 24P non-advanced should be fine. However, personally I would rather do 24P, extract the original frames, and work in true 24P. If you're doing any editing or especially effects, rendering time will take less than using a 60i(24 non-advance) file.

Juan
Juan P. Pertierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2003, 07:29 PM   #7
Barry Wan Kenobi

You could also make a 24P DVD off of 24PNormal footage. There will be a slight reduction in quality when compared to 24P Advanced, and it will take a little longer, but it's still completely possible.

24P Normal has been around forever in the world of AfterEffects, film telecine, etc. 24P Advanced is a new invention from Panasonic that allows for a quicker, recompression-free extraction of the 24 source frames. 24PA will give you just the tiniest extra bit of quality, but 24P Normal is perfectly acceptable and really it's no big deal which method you choose to shoot.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2003, 10:17 PM   #8
Regular Crew

make sure your software can edit with 24pa I think FCP 4 and Vegas 4 are the only ones....oh yeah Blade2 or something.

If you shoot in 24p you don't have to worry about removing/inserting pulldown but with the above disadvantages.
Jake McMurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2003, 11:40 PM   #9
New Boot

thank you all for you input.
see i have already shot a 4 min clip of the film last month.
and as we know a 4 min clip can be 10 hour day and this one was and would be to hard to replace.(special effects and all)
the fact of the matter is if i had the resource to do this in 24pa i would have done so but for this one i don't......
so away we go..........

Barry i'm glad you saw this post.
along with all of you

THANK YOU .......................
Desi Tury is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant