Filters and Polariizers etc at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old September 20th, 2003, 09:51 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Filters and Polariizers etc

Just wondering what would be a wise way to go when going for one of these... i found a 3 piece kkit whichhas a UV, Neon and Polarizer for about $100 AUD inc shipping
its a
Opteka 72mm High Definition Professional Filter Kit

its cheap and i prolly wont use any others apart from the UV filter as i prefer a raw image

heres a dumb question...With fiters on the DVX thou, do you have to unscrew the little sunshade <the one with the 2 tiny screws> (not the matt box)

Ive never used a filter on my cam apart from the inbuilt ND filters but i dont want to fry my CCD as summer is coming now and business is pickng up....

your thoughts on filters are greatly appreciated!
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2003, 04:44 PM   #2
Barry Wan Kenobi

Do not put a cheap filter in front of your lens, it will degrade your image. Go with top-quality filters like Heliopan, or B+W, or Schneider.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2003, 06:19 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Canon make a filter set, FS-72U, which contain UV Filter, Polariser and Neutral Density filter.
Marc Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2003, 04:31 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Hello everyone! About close-up filters... I've seen B+W closeup filters selling for $40 from B&H Photo-Video and the Century Optics Achromatic Diopter selling for $330 at the same place. What exactly is the difference between these two, and why is there such a large price gap between the two?
Randy Reyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2003, 06:12 AM   #5
Inner Circle

some filters have the GLASS embedded with the filter material, while others use a cheap and nasty SPRAY ON kinda cheap sunglasses thing...

apparently the ones i mentioned abve have the glass treated with the filter chem, but theyre dual layer so its 2 pieces meshes together... hmm...
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2003, 04:56 PM   #6
Major Player

C'mon! You didn't pay around $3K for a great camer and lens only to shave the quality down with the cheapest filters you can get, did you?

B&H probably isn't the only place to get TOP filters at a great price. Check with our sponsors FIRST, but if they don't have 'em then call B&H.

B+W polarizers can be had for around $70... linear. (You don't need cir-pol for a dv-cam unless you just want to spend the extra $30.)

Note to all. An ND filter is pointless on a DVX as there are TWO choices of ND BUILT IN... sure somebody can argue a time where you want a bit less or a bit more, but don't be rediculous. Any 3 filter kit that includes an ND is basically a TWO FILTER KIT.
Matt Gettemeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2003, 09:35 PM   #7
Warden

B & H is one of our sponsors now and for their continued support of our community it is important that they be contacted through this link

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/?BI=155

Thanks for your help in this matter. Also we are coming up to some important Holidays and many retailers (including B & H) are closed. The Holidays are as follows

Rosh Hashana Eve
Friday, September 26
Close at 1:00

Rosh Hashana
Sunday, September 28
Closed

Yom Kippur eve
Sunday, October 5
Open 9:30 - 12:30

Yom Kippur
Monday, October 6
Closed

Succos Eve
Friday, October 10
Close at 1:00

Succos
Sunday, October 12 Thru Sunday, October 19
Closed

The B+W close up filter is a single element filter (only 1 piece of glass). Century, Nikon and Canon make apochromatic close filters that are two element filters. They are much sharper than single element filters over all, but especially in the corners. Canons apo filters end in D and Nikons T.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2003, 08:25 AM   #8
Inner Circle

"C'mon! You didn't pay around $3K for a great camer and lens only to shave the quality down with the cheapest filters you can get, did you?"

Yeah i know, i jsut needde somethign temporary as most of my work is indoors...

thanks for the link Jeff, ill check em out as soon as i get a chance, as i at least want a UV filter... summers comin down here and im paranoid ye ol ball of fire.. :)
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant