DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/)
-   -   Recording TV (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/14989-recording-tv.html)

Darrell Hinton September 25th, 2003 08:15 PM

Recording TV

Anyone know if it is possible to record TV programs onto MiniDV through the DVX100 (using the Red, White, and Yellow cable)? I tried and all I could get was audio, because I have digital cable, and there is no Video In slot there is only Audio Ins, Audio Outs, and Video Out. Is it a copyright issue? Do they not put a Video In on the box specifically so you can't record from the box? I didn't think it would be a copyright issue because there is nothing stopping you from recording onto VHS. Or is there just a simple way around this that I do not know (like some kind of adapter or somethin)? Thanks for any help.

Mark Monciardini September 25th, 2003 10:59 PM

That's wierd. You should be able to just come out of the TV and go right into the DVX. Make sure you are in VHS mode on the camera and not camera mode. While in VHS mode, the DVX AV jacks become inputs. While in camera mode they become outputs.

Darrell Hinton September 25th, 2003 11:28 PM

Yes, I am in VCR mode, not Camera mode. Do you have a digital cable box (or some other kind of box) or do you have basic cable? I thought that my problem could have something to do with the fact that I have a cable box. On my TV I can not have both the camera and the cable box hooked up to one input. So I tried hooking the camera up to the cable box to capture the video/audio from there directly. What was weird was that when I had the cam hooked up directly to the box, and had the camera in camera mode, I could see the video along with the audio, but when I switched to VCR mode all I got was audio with no video.

John Britt September 26th, 2003 08:59 AM

Re: Recording TV

<<<-- Originally posted by Darrell Hinton :

I have digital cable, and there is no Video In slot there is only Audio Ins, Audio Outs, and Video Out. ... Do they not put a Video In on the box specifically so you can't record from the box? -->>>

Darrell

I'm a bit confused here. Are you saying that your digital box has RCA-type Video Out and Audio Out? If so, the cable box Video Out (Yellow) goes into your DVX RCA Video port and the the cable box Audio Out (Red and White) go into your DVX's Audio ports. Your cable box does not need a Video In port for this to work. Video In would be only if you wanted to send an external signal through your cable box to view on your television. Again, forgive me if I am misinterpreting your statement.

I have a digital cable box that has the same set up as yours -- Out ports but no Video In ports. Video In is not what you want, though. You want the Video and Audio Out ports on your cable box plugged into your DVX. I can't think of any reason why this shouldn't work. If that still doesn't work for you, I can try it myself when I get home.

Another option is to use a VCR with RCA-type outputs. The line-up would be: Coaxial cable from wall --> into coxial input on digital box --> coaxial cable into VCR --> RCA outputs from the VCR to the camera.

John Britt September 26th, 2003 03:20 PM

addendum

Just tried it out on the digital cable box at home. Worked fine -- Audio and Video RCA outputs on the cable box to the DVC80 captured video and sound perfectly.

If you are not having trouble with your camera's inputs, the cable box may be at fault.

Darrell Hinton September 27th, 2003 12:32 AM

Sorry if my original post was confusing. I do have everything hooked up right. I have been having some problems with my cable box lately, so it very well could be at fault. I just didn't understand why I was able to get audio but no video. I guess I will try hooking it up to a friend's box and see if it works there, and if so, then I'll know that it is a problem with my box. Thanks for the info.

Sean R Allen September 27th, 2003 09:49 AM

You don't just have to use another cable box to see if it's a camera vs. box issue, you can use a VCR, DVD player, Nintendo or anything else that has video out. Hook it to the video port of your camera, switch to VCR mode and if it shows up (like it's supposed to) then it's your box at fault, otherwise it's most likely your camera.

Darrell Hinton September 27th, 2003 03:35 PM

Well I tried it on another cable box and a gaming system and this time I got both audio and video in VCR mode, but still, when I tried to record all it would capture was audio and no video. So maybe it is my camera, or is there some settings I need to change in order to record from TV?