Mixing TDK tapes with Fuji at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old September 26th, 2003, 08:43 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Mixing TDK tapes with Fuji

I'm normally uses FUJI tapes, and I've ordered 25 tapes this week, but I've received 25 TDK tapes !!!! The reference is DV Digital Standard ME.

Is there a risk that I use these TDK in the DVX100? I know the Fuji are Dry, but don't know about these TDK.

Thank in advance.
Marc Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2003, 08:57 PM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Run a cleaning tape through the camera (per the usage directions supplied with the cleaner) before changing brands.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2003, 10:37 PM   #3
Outer Circle

Did you contact the dealer about the mistake?
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2003, 12:37 AM   #4
Barry Wan Kenobi

Re: Mixing TDK tapes with Fuji

<<<-- Originally posted by Marc Martin : I know the Fuji are Dry, but don't know about these TDK.

Thank in advance. -->>>

Not to stir up trouble, but -- who says Fuji tapes are dry? It's my understanding that only the Panasonic Master series use dry lube, all other brands are supposedly wet.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2003, 01:23 AM   #5
Outer Circle

No, Fuji miniDV is dry.
Old September 27th, 2003, 12:28 PM   #6
Barry Wan Kenobi

Not to belabor the point, but -- where is the definitive answer? I searched Fuji's site and it said nothing about lubricant type.

I found this page:
http://www.hosannaproductions.com/tips/minidv_lubricants.html

where he claims to have spoken to the manufacturers and asked them, and even printed the name of who he spoke to. But, it lists all tape types as dry, EXCEPT Panasonic Master series, which he says is wet. And Panasonic Master series is supposed to be the only dry tape, according to Jan Crittenden -- she says Panasonic PQ's are definitely wet, MQ's are definitely dry, and are the only dry tapes out there.

And the page says that Fuji's are identical to JVC tapes, including identical shells, part numbers and typefaces.
Old September 27th, 2003, 01:45 PM   #7
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Barry,
You are quoting from a since-deleted thread in which Jan and others were quoted somewhat out of context. Please don't continue to propogate that, as it is not the complete story.

There really is very little authoritative information available on the subject of tape lubrication. It tends to be a somewhat proprietary subject. The body of "knowledge" on this subject is largely anecdotal folklore passed along through forums like this. Much of it is baloney.

Making sure that you run a cleaning tape when switching brands of tape and taking good care of your camera's tape transport are the best, and perhaps only, policies to avoid troubles.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2003, 02:18 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Did you contact the dealer about the mistake?
Not yet.

I'm not sure that the TDK will be as good as the FUJI. I've read on forums that some people like TDK, others don't like, but all people seems to like FUJI.

So I think I will return the TDK tapes. I will not take risks.
Old September 27th, 2003, 04:34 PM   #9
Barry Wan Kenobi

<<<-- Originally posted by Ken Tanaka : Barry,
You are quoting from a since-deleted thread in which Jan and others were quoted somewhat out of context. Please don't continue to propogate that, as it is not the complete story.
-->>>

Er, I don't know which thread you're referring to. I'm talking about direct e-mail conversations with Jan, where she says that the breakthrough differentation about Panasonic Master tapes is the new dry lubricant, which will not dry out because it's already dry, plus it provides for longer head life, and more replays without dropouts.

She also said "There is only one brand that has dry, and that's Panasonic, the wet lubrications are everyone else."

That's not out of context, that's out of the proverbial horse's mouth. So my question is, where is the substantiation of claims that other brands also use dry?
Old September 27th, 2003, 04:57 PM   #10
Outer Circle

Only a couple are "wet," while most are "dry." Maybe the Pana Master is just more "dry," like a "0" compared with a "1" in the sweetness scale for wines. :)
Old September 27th, 2003, 09:15 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Mark,

Which TDK tapes did you end up with? I've been using the TDK DVM 60 for the last three years even though I've upgraded to a better videocamera.

I did have some dirty head issues with two cameras when I swapped playback of Sony and these TDK cassettes and didn't
even know about tape lubricant issues.

http://www.hosannaproductions.com/tips/minidv_lubricants.html

doesn't list the type for TDK DVM60's. The box is unfilled. So, I'm
guessing the TDK's are dry from personal experience.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2003, 10:53 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Which TDK tapes did you end up with?
Here is the link to the model tapes that I received.

http://www.tdk.com.au/products/camcorder/minidv_dvm.htm

On this site: http://www.dvfreak.com/tape.htm , you can read at the end of the page an "internal bulletin from TDK" saying: "Our MiniDV lubricant is similar to the Panasonic product and in normal use, mixing brands oftape should not cause any problems"

But on this site http://www.hosannaproductions.com/ti...llbulletin.pdf, you can read the same exact text. Difficult to know the truth about tapes...
Old September 28th, 2003, 12:42 AM   #13
Outer Circle

"Similar" does not mean "the same." It means "similar." Similar, adj, alike in a general way but not exactly.---The Random House Dictionary.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant