DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/)
-   -   Lost my lens cap :( (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/15672-lost-my-lens-cap.html)

Peter Richardson October 12th, 2003 06:48 PM

Lost my lens cap :(

Hey guys--So I lost my lens cap for my DVX100. Right now I'm using the lens cap from my Nikon still camera and it's an ok temp solution (also 72mm lens, of course), but it is only temporary. Does anyone know where I can buy replacement lens caps? I looked on BH photo but couldn't find them. Thanks!

Peter

Ken Tanaka October 12th, 2003 10:11 PM

I don't know where you could get an original Panasonic cap. Perhaps through Panasonic's Parts & Accessories group.

But I'm sure that any good 72mm spring-loaded cap will serve as an adequate replacement. You should be able to find one at most photo dealers.

[ADDENDUM]
Indeed, the link above will lead you to a list of parts for the camera. The lens cap is Panasonic's part number: VGQ6883 priced at $6.89. You can order it online.

Peter Richardson October 13th, 2003 04:01 PM

Thanks Ken. After having used my Nikon lens cap I can say that something about the design of the Panasonic lens does not lend itself to the use of this lens cap (and possible other 3rd party lens caps). The "deepness" of the lens barrel makes putting the lens cap on and taking it off really difficult and murder on fingernails. Anyway, thanks a bunch for the link. I think I'll order two (just in case).

Peter

Frank Granovski October 13th, 2003 07:02 PM

Why not just stick a little plastic bag over the lens housing and fasten it with a rubber band. :)

Nathan Clapp October 24th, 2003 09:36 AM

Actually, the part # VGQ6883 or "lens Cap" is actually only 1/3 of the lens cap, in this case the front part. I know this because I am now the proud owner of 1/3 of a lens cap. To get the other 2/3rds you need #VGQ6920 "Lens Cover Knob" and #VGQ6919 "Cap Cover." I think they all are about $6.50 each, so with shipping the whole thing is around $25.

Peter Richardson October 24th, 2003 11:13 AM

Nathan--Unfortunately you are obsolutely correct. I now have two, 1/3 lens caps :( I'm just going to return mine and get a lens cap for a still camera from a local camera store (Got to be cheaper than $25). THanks for the post and the info (initially I thought they made a mistake in the shipment).

Peter

Ken Tanaka October 24th, 2003 11:49 AM

How frustrating! Two more "parts" to build a simple lens cap?! For $25+?!

Well, I am certainly sorry I may have misguided you by only citing the one part number from Panasonic's page. But I'm even sorrier that you ("we", actually, as a DVX100 owner myself) can't just order a darn "lens cap"!

Nathan Clapp October 24th, 2003 02:43 PM

Unfortunately, "knock off" lens caps don't fit very well. The OEM way is probably the way to go.

Peter Richardson October 24th, 2003 03:27 PM

Hi Ken--It is pretty ridiculous. With a pola and haze filter, though, turns out my Nikon lens cap works fine. Think I'll return the Panasonic "pieces." Thanks anyway for the advice,

Peter

Tom Houston October 27th, 2003 10:21 AM

I use an old Canon XL-1 lens cap and it works WAY better then the standard Panasonic cap that comes with the camera.