Settings at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old October 14th, 2003, 06:41 PM   #1
Tourist

Settings

Hi all new to the forums and new owner of a DVX. I'm planning on shooting a short and ultimately transferring to film. I'd like to know if anyone can recommend me a good baseline for settings.

Shooting conditions include stark sunlight, no artifical lighting, handheld camera, one subject, lots of background action (crowded streets).

Any of your help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Neill Dela Llana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2003, 07:33 PM   #2
Space Hipster

If you are planning to transfer to film, start with your film house. I don't know how many have transferred DVX100 footage to 35mm, but call around.

My guess is you will shoot 24p advanced, thin mode, 1/48th or 1/24th shutter, cinegamma, cinematrix.

But without testing, it would be hard to say. Stark sunlight without artificial will be a challenge as cinegamma is extremely unforgiving of blown out highlights. You may need to use normal gamma, and or screens, ND filters (two are built in) to control highlights.
Old October 14th, 2003, 11:03 PM   #3
Regular Crew

If you're going to film, you don't want to shoot cinematrix. I seem to recall the best settings are cinegamma, thin, detail -3 or -4, normal matrix. Again, cinematrix approximates the "film look" so if you're going out to true film, you want to transfer the real look (normal) as going to film will itself create the film look.

Ah, found it! Here's a link:

http://dvfilm.com/maker/dvx100settings.htm
Sean R Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2003, 06:29 AM   #4
Major Player

what about settings in regular 24p.? I dont plan on transferring any of my footage to film.. Thanks
Mike Zorger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2003, 11:33 AM   #5
Major Player

I'd like to also see someone suggest some good "baseline" scene file settings for those who are shooting in 24pStandard with no intention of going to film.

Anyone?

This is what I have gathered so far from other forums:

Detail Level: -4
Chroma Level: 0
Chroma Phase: -4
Color Temp: 0
Master Ped: -8 (I am not sure if it should be +8 or -8)
A. Iris Level: -2
Gamma: Cine-like
Skin Tone DTL: OFF
Matrix: Cine-Like
V Detail Freq: Thick
Nick Medrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2003, 08:02 AM   #6
Major Player

So these settings are the best for 24p?
Mike Zorger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2003, 09:41 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I have a PAL DVX100. A master pedestal of -8 gives me too contrast and loose some details in low light, and I don't know why everybody put -4 in the chroma phase. Color seems accurate to me at 0, except a little too green (which isn't a phase problem)
Marc Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2003, 07:50 AM   #8
Inner Circle

PAL units ar edifferent mate...

we dont have the phase shifting of the NTSC model...

one thing thou, is that i ALWAYS use Cinematrix (for teh smooth extended contrasts) and a master ped of -1

temperature is set according to location as i find the DVX loves to flush out reds...

i usually shoot wedding this way and skin detail and colour is spotless.
Also i run auto iris at +4, this gives me a good backlight compensation without the need to use the actual comensator.

Nice fast and accurate with colour.. dunno what id do without it now....
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2003, 09:06 AM   #9
Major Player

Hi,
I've been shooting with my settings for a while now and am finding that the shots are just too dark and that there are too many strong blacks. So, I am going to increase the Master Ped from -8 to around -1.
Nick Medrano is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant