Please help! DVC80 or PDX-10?? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old October 17th, 2003, 04:40 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Please help! DVC80 or PDX-10??

These are the final 2 canidates, basically same price range (not counting microphone upgrade for DVC), I like the 16:9 native aspect of the PDX, but low light is much better on the DVC, is it worth it to go DVCAM or does the DVC totally blow the PDX out of the water? I'm very frustrated because these are the two that nobody has in stock around here to put my hands on, so please line up and give me your input. Camera will by mostly run and gun, some tripod use, needs to be strong/tough, subject matter is mostly daylight outdoor, motorsport, snowboard, nature, documentary with a third of it's use for weddings, short commercials for broadcast, concerts, etc. Along with the camera I'm planning to buy a 30-50 watt lighting kit, basic filters, new case and a .5x wide angle lens. This is my final post for opinions on my camera purchase.
Thanks!
Ryan
Ryan Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2003, 05:04 PM   #2
New Boot

2 things...
The low-light on the dvc-80 is much better than that on the pdx-10.
The ccds on the dvc-80 are 1/3" instead of 1/4". THis translates into a much better image.

While the pdx-10 does have some nice things going for it, like the native 16:9 format, the image quality of the 2 are just not comparable. The vx-2000 is a better comparison. All of these cameras are really nice, however. As a dvc-80 owner, I stand by it, having been in the same position as you a month ago(b/w pdx-10 and the dvc-80).

another 2 things:
To me the dvc-80 "looks" like a more professional camera. Don't underestimate how this translates to clients. Many people are simply "ooohed" and "aahed" by high-tech gear.

Also, look for issues with vertical smear with the pdx-10. It is well documented.
You can come by my site as it develops. I have an ag-dvc80 devoted forum at http://www.jarretttowe.com.
Good luck!
Jarrett Towe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2003, 05:40 PM   #3
Trustee

go for the DVC80 and don't look back- just be warned about the limited zoom capabilities of the 80 and lack of tele options- otherwise i'd say the 80 is the better cam.......I have a PDX10 myself and am looking at either the DVC80 or Streamcorder as it's replacement....

..let us know how it goes!

If 16:9 is an absolute necessity the X10 is a viable choice.
Old October 17th, 2003, 07:55 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Agree. Get a cam with a more 'professional look'. I traded-up my 950 because of its 'size' and vertical smear problem.
Yik Kuen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2003, 06:37 AM   #5
Trustee

New fighters

Interesting, until I get my DVX100 because I have been considering picking what would later become my "B" camera first, and my picks were between the Sony PD-X10 and the Canon GL2.

The DVC80 was never an option, really. Maybe because my budget is around $1700, which is how the GL2 can be get now with rebate. I don't see much of a chance to get a DVC80 for $1700 for now.

Has any of you included or tried the GL2 when picking the PD-X10 or the DVC80?

My main concern with this camera is that I can get a good quality when eventually blowing-up to film what I get from it too.

Carlos
Carlos E. Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2003, 08:31 AM   #6
Trustee

I'm not sure what you're planning on doing with the camera..but the PDX10's big selling point is it's native 16:9 shooting- blow ups to widescreen would be nice but if you're gonna shoot 4:3 I'd say stick with the GL2.
Old October 18th, 2003, 11:31 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Man, this has been such a tough decsion! People keep on pulling the VX2000 back into the mix and just when I think that the Panny is the way to go I second guess myself again. I know the VX would be great it's just a turn off that it doesn't come with XLR inputs and I don't want add on's like beachtek now that I've looked into them some more(too bulky). I've looked at the GL2 and it just seems plasticky in my opinion and I've always been a Son-E and Panny believer. Also, what is this I hear about the fragility of the DVC/DVX?? Is it worth it to sacrifice XLR inputs for progressive scan and just buy a minidisc recorder and mic to make up for it? I guess for me I want the most flexibility and durability for my dollar and if the PDX had better low light and a more "professional" look I think it would be a shoe in. HELP! Should it be this hard?
Ryan
Ryan Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2003, 01:31 PM   #8
Barry Wan Kenobi

Re: New fighters

<<<-- Originally posted by Carlos E. Martinez : Interesting, until I get my DVX100 because I have been considering picking what would later become my "B" camera first, and my picks were between the Sony PD-X10 and the Canon GL2.

The DVC80 was never an option, really.
Carlos -->>>

Hey, if you're getting a DVX100, then your choice for a "B" camera should be really easy -- definitely get the DVC80. You can share batteries, chargers, remotes, lens accessories, filters, hoods, everything. Your footage will intercut perfectly with no hassles. Seriously, if you intend to get a DVX100 as well, and you need two cameras, and you're not going to get two DVX's, then the DVC80 should be the primary camera you consider as a "B" camera.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2003, 02:04 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I bought the DVC 80 and paid 2,410 with filter and shipping. I would buy it again.. Absolutely no buyers remorse whatsoever.. there is no doubt in my mind that i made the right decision.. I am doing all kinds of great shoots with this camera and am more than pleased with its abilities.. Dont let people scare you with this crap of it dont have this or it dont have that.. Its a 2400 camera for christs sake.. Its not a do everything camera like the ones you pay 24,000 for.. I wholeheartedly recommend the DVC 80.. I do wish one thing... That I had the extra $900 for DVX100.. That will be my next cam ; )
Scott Plowman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant