DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/)
-   -   changing tape decsion HELP ! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/15928-changing-tape-decsion-help.html)

Arooj Azam October 18th, 2003 10:17 AM

changing tape decsion HELP !

Hey guys-

I brought my DVX 100 (pal) like a week ago. I did some initial tests with the camera, so far so good. Unfortunately at the time of purchase the PQ or MQ tapes werent available. so i fetched a consumer panasonic DVM60 tape. I have done 30 minutes of recording so far. I recieved a call from my dealer today that the PQ tapes are now available. So my question is should i go for a tape change or should i just stick to panasonic consumer tape. If i use the PQ tapes would i be requiring a head cleaning thing as i have heard alot about running the cleaner before a change in brand or i can simply start using the PQ tape as the recording time has only been 30 minutes. kindly let me know about the above queries as i have heard alot of DVX's head being sensitive.
thankyou

Jeff Donald October 18th, 2003 11:05 AM

I would just use a cleaning tape (follow the directions with the tape exactly) and switch if you want. Thirty minutes is not a lot of recording time, so I think it is safe to switch if you want.

Arooj Azam October 19th, 2003 09:56 AM

Jeff thankyou for your reply. Much appreciated. The only thing that is worrying me is the use of cleaner tape before switching. Is it necessary that i run the cleaner before using the PQ, as the unit is brand new and i dont want to use the cleaner without a reason, i have heard that the cleaning tape causes several hours of wear too and i dont want to do that after 30 minutes of recording only. So is it safe if i start using PQ straight away. I have a few concerns which are as follows

Does the consumer panasonic tape DVM60 use wet lubricant ?

Is it safe to switch to PQ tape (wet lubricant) without the use of the cleaner.

Note : i have been through the manual and they have not mentioned the use of the cleaner while switching tapes.

Jeff Donald October 19th, 2003 10:04 AM

The cleaning tape will not damage your camera or cause excessive wear if you follow the directions exactly. I would use the cleaner if I was going to switch tape brands etc.

Johnnie Behiri October 19th, 2003 01:07 PM

Hi,
Save your self the money,according to Panasonic uk tech.support the DVM60 are dry.(and recomended to be use in the operating instructions).
Continue to use them and if you run into problem you always will have the possibility to change.

Johnnie
DVX100E (pal)

Arooj Azam October 19th, 2003 01:40 PM

hey guys ...thankyou for the reply ...i guess your answer is suffice enough. I think i will stick with DVM 60 for the time being. I was just browsing through different tape forms and i came across some info regarding the lubricants and would like to share. All panasonic tapes use dry lubricants so i guess it wont be much of a problem in swaping between them anywayz.

By the way i did some test clips out of my new DVX 100 (pal)
and would like to share it with you guys. Is there a possibility that i can upload them in here ?

Scott Chapin October 23rd, 2003 08:12 PM

Not all Panny tapes are dry. MQs are dry and all others are wet, or so that was thought to be true. Now apparently, Panasonic is in the process of assembling the data and going to post it on their website.

I don't want to implicate anyone, but a reliable source at Panasonic said they did not want to be quoted on the matter any longer, and that MQs are the best. The same source said they are working on gathering the info for the web.