two tech questions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old October 26th, 2003, 11:02 AM   #1
New Boot

two tech questions

I have two questions;

1) Can you output time/date ONLY to an external VTR. I don't want to output all the onscreen information, only time/date.

2) The DVX100 can record in LP mode, but Panasonic reccomends against shooting LP using 80 minute tapes. I spoke to Panasonic tech support and all they could say was that it didn't void the warranty, but that they would not be responsible for the results (or lack thereof). They indicated that the beginning and/or end of the recording could be effected, and that there could be possible pixelation, due to tension of the 80 minute tape running on LP mode. What I need to know is, has anyone shot LP using 80 minute tapes, and what the results have been. If not, can someone do a quick test and tell me what the results are? Before you all go screaming at me "why would you record ANYTHING in the LP mode?" I am a legal videographer and need the record time of the DVX to match that of a standard VHS tape, hence the LP/80 minute combination.

I had a thought that this warning may be an attempt by Panasonic to to dissuade you from this shooting combination, so that the DVX will not be in competition with it's higher end cameras offering 2 hour record times. Feedback?
Eric Lenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2003, 01:49 PM   #2
Major Player

1) Can you output time/date ONLY to an external VTR. I don't want to output all the onscreen information, only time/date.

Select VCR
Select DISPLAY SETUP screen (Using remote)

Here you will find options for what information you want and don't want to see onscreen when viewing on a VTR. I have managed to get rid of all info except TC.

Now I need to know: HOw to get rid of TC info! :)

2) I would only do as suggested regarding SP and LP! Isn't the quality much higher anyway with SP?
John Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2003, 02:56 PM   #3
New Boot

John, appreciate the reply, but it's not quite what I was looking for. I need to know if when sending time/date to an external VTR, ONLY that information will be recorded?

As for the SP vs LP quality issue, it's fairly negligible in minidv, whereas it used to be much greater in VHS. In addition, it doesn't matter, because believe it or not, the minidv is the backup to the VHS unit.
Eric Lenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2003, 04:26 PM   #4
Barry Wan Kenobi

<<<-- Originally posted by John Hudson :

Now I need to know: HOw to get rid of TC info! :)

-->>>

Push the "counter" button on the side of the camera, under the LCD panel. It'll cycle through four or five options, with one of them being "blank".

<<<--
2) I would only do as suggested regarding SP and LP! Isn't the quality much higher anyway with SP?
-->>>

No, the data is identical, the visual quality is identical. The only difference is that in LP mode, you're much more susceptible to dropouts, and LP mode recorded on one camera may not play on another camera. It's a much more "fragile" recording.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2003, 04:28 PM   #5
Barry Wan Kenobi

<<<-- Originally posted by Eric Lenz : John, appreciate the reply, but it's not quite what I was looking for. I need to know if when sending time/date to an external VTR, ONLY that information will be recorded?

-->>>

You can configure the display to send out just about anything that you want -- the on-screen display is governed by about four or five different settings, so I think it's possible to turn off everything except time/date.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2003, 04:47 PM   #6
Major Player

Thanks to both of you! I thought I knew what was being asked; and I learned another thing about camera!
John Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2003, 01:05 PM   #7
New Boot

I have the answers to my own questions. Went to B&H yesterday with an SVHS cable and some 80 min DV tape. The camera WILL output time/date only to another VTR. In addition I did a test recording using an 80 min tape in the LP mode and the recording came out fine, granted it was just a few minutes worth, but it did not come out pixelated or ruined. In addition I then played the tape back on my JVC VS20 (miniDV/SVHS) and it played perfectly.
Eric Lenz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant