Image with some bending at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old October 27th, 2003, 03:44 AM   #1
Tourist

Image with some bending

Hi,

I bought my DVX100 4 weeks ago and I have been using it alot.

Yesterday I was recording a short film and I noticed somethig I had not yet noticed. In the lower half of the monitor I was watching some bending in the image toward the center.

It was one of those moments of doubts, mistery and stress and I didnt get to understand what was happening.

I talked with the director of photography. and he told me that it could be due to the perspective. That is a common effect he told me on some lenses, but it is correctable with an external lens...

Have you noticed something like this?? Is this some sort of astigmatism in the camera? do you get perfect alignment of the camera with vertical lines (doors, walls,....)

I am really worried abou this point as I dont know if my camera is flawed.

Best Regards,

GREG
Greg Manzanera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2003, 10:23 AM   #2
Space Hipster

The DVX100 Lens has some barrel distortion at full wide angle setting.

This is normal on lenses in this price range for DV cameras.

Even expensive (i.e. tens of thousand dollar lenses) have barrel distoration at extreme wide angles.
Old October 27th, 2003, 10:32 AM   #3
Major Player

Yea, check out the scenes in Forrest Gump, particularly the scene right after the kids (Hanks and the girl) are praying in the cornfield and it goes to a craned-wide shot over the field. Yikes!
Nick Medrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2003, 11:06 AM   #4
Tourist

Indeed we also notice some geometric distorsion and not only on the "wide portion" of the zoom range witch is typical of barrel distorsion from optical elements. This was observed on all our DVX100. I would like to have explanation from Panasonic on this!
Richard Beaudry is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant